PDA

View Full Version : elegans care sheet

ryan
03-04-2007, 01:19 PM
whats the best one to use as i cant find any let alone one!

mat.si
03-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi!
I already posted this some time ago.
That's how I've kept and bred elegans for the last 9 years.
I'm sure others use different ways of doing it successfully as well, but this works great for me.

Due to rather limited space I keep my elegans in simple, commercialy made flat plastic terrariums (clear plastic with a plastic mesh cover). I have them on shelves (three tarrariums per 1m X 0.5m shelf) Each shelf has one 90cm full spectrum flourescent tube above. (I use full spectrum tubes although I never see the elegans outside during the day.) The only heating comes from the tube on the shelf bellow and this seems to be quite enough. The temperatures are between about 24 - 28 C during the day and fall to about 20 - 22 C during the night. (Lights are turned on for about 12 hours during summer and about 10 hours during winter.)
I guess you could also use lower wattage heating cable instead of a light tube.

I use common peat as a substrate (about 4 cm deep). one part of the substrate is moist (about one third of the terrarium surface).
There are at least two clay or plastic hidding places with entrance holes on the side (one on moist part, one on dry), complemented by at least two tunnel shapped cork bark pieces and maybe another piece of wood (roots or so.) The cork is usually placed to extend and conceal the entrance to the hidding places.
There's also a water dish and small dish with calcium (cuttlefish bone) for females. They eat quite a lot of it during breeding season.
I feed my elegans mostly crickets and lateralis dusted with vitamins and calcium.

I keep the babies in the same kind of setup on the identical temperatures as adults, but in smaller terrariums (usually 3 - 5 animals per enclosure).
It's important to keep a part of the substrate constantly moist.
When the babies are bigger, I separate the males from females until they are at least 1.5 to 2 years old and big enough to be put together for breeding. It's not good for females, if they are bred too young.

I hope this helps.

Matjaz