PDA

View Full Version : Tokay rescue -- very sad

sarahjane85
03-15-2007, 08:55 PM
I rescued a very large male Tokay just about two weeks ago. "They" said that he could have a broken right hind foot as there was a large lump and scab on the ventral surface. I wanted to wait until he shed so that I could access the problem. I allowed him two days of settling in his new enclosure. As I examined him, his days of improper husbandry began to unfold; blackened toe pads on both hind feet (probable burn), a partially immobile, regrown tail, and his entire right leg was stiffened, although still moveable near his pelvic region, in addition to the large scab on his right hind foot (inadequate husbandry, possibly kept with other males). His third night I gave him a pink to stimulate his appetite and the next night he eagerly accepted about 10 adult roaches by hand. Still no shedding and the scab was still present. I left for four days and returned to find that he had shed. I took him out of the enclosure and examined his foot again. To my horror, his flesh was disintegrating and a pocket had formed where the scab had been and was swarming with small black larvae. I immediately removed him, rinsed off his foot, and soaked it in a diluted iodine soln.
My intent was to give him the proper husbandry and let him live peacefully the rest of his days. But I am now torn -- to have him euthanized or to go through with amputation of his leg, anti-biotics, etc..., etc....
I dislike making the live or die decision.....I had to do it with our two Yellow labs, one with cancer, the other with dementia. And although I've only had him for a very short time, I've grown quite attached to the big guy. I've always had the policy to 'just walk away' when I encounter sick or dying reptiles and to pray that their death will soon be near. Somehow, I completely dropped this policy when he was offered to me.
Money for the vet is not my concern here. It is the stress/trauma that he would be subjected to with the vet visit, drawing blood (it's highly probable he has septicemia), and the actual surgery/amputation.

I welcome comments to help in my decision tonight.

Sarah.

cliff_f
03-18-2007, 07:22 PM
That would be a very hard decision to make. I love tokays so I would probally try to save it, but at the same time I havnt seen how bad of condition it is in. I wish you the best of luck with him.

sarahjane85
03-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Thank you Cliff ~~
The vet visit went extremely well. He's on a broad spectrum antibiotic and I'm flushing his leg/foot eod (to slough off necrotic tissue) and keeping his temps. in the 80's at night to clear up a respiratory infection. I initially thought that I would have to force-feed him but I decided to try to hand feed first and honestly, he's just loving it. He's eating 8-10 large roaches eod and went from 143g to 167g in just 8 days. He has no use/feeling of his right hind leg or tail (fractured leg and tail base), but there's still circulation. He gets around quite well although he cannot climb :cry: . Basically, he'll be on one level until antibiotics are finished and his leg is entirely healed (~ 1 month). Then, I'm going to pimp out his enclosure with several 'safe' and easily accessible levels to allow him to be as much of an arboreal as he possibly can.

I'll try to post a pic this weekend.

Sarah.

cliff_f
03-29-2007, 10:33 PM
I am glad to hear he is doing well. You need to post some pics of him soon and get some pics when you have his enclosure all fixed up.

nuggular
04-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Good on ya for saving him. Sounds like he is doing quite well and all should turn out ok if he continues down this good road.

Keep us updated.

sarahjane85
04-25-2007, 06:54 PM
He's doing so well thanks everyone. Been off the antibiotics for two weeks now and he's still eating great and is able to move around easily now. His foot and tail need a bit more time to heal and I'm hoping that he'll be able to climb with just the three feet -- which btw are extremely sticky now -- yay!
I'm still not sure how much to feed him (as much as he wants?). He's the largest gecko I have and I feed 15 adult lobster roaches eod or e3d. Here's a couple pics of the 192g, 12 1/2" htl beastie.

This is back when I first got him after his first shed. He still has problems with the area near his left eye because of an old scab but of course, I help him out:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g315/sarahjane85_2006/DSC08698.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g315/sarahjane85_2006/DSC08699.jpg

And now, ~ 6 weeks later. All new skin/muscle has grown over his right rear leg. His entire leg and half of his tail use to look like his foot.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g315/sarahjane85_2006/DSC08863.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g315/sarahjane85_2006/DSC08862.jpg

I was wondering if Tokays in general always have loose belly skin or will this tighten up as he gains more weight?

Sarah.

geckoboy
04-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Your tokay looks to be in great shape right now. He's got a good amount of weight on him and aside from the obvious issues with his legs, seems healthy.
I had a tokay with only 3 feet once, the other leg ended in a stump. She was WC from a local pet store. She was happy and healthy and possibly even more aggressive at feeding time than the male. She had no problems climbing or getting around.
The belly skin will tighten and loosen when your gecko is full or empty. Right after meals it will be tighter. It's really nothing abnormal.
Good luck with him :)

cliff_f
04-25-2007, 09:07 PM
He looks like he is doing good. I am glad you saved him.

nuggular
11-20-2007, 04:03 PM
What is eod or e3d mean?????

Riverside Reptiles
11-20-2007, 06:02 PM
What is eod or e3d mean?????

eod = every other day
e3d = every third day

cliff_f
11-20-2007, 08:11 PM
I sure would like to see some up todate pictures of him :).

TARENTOLO
11-28-2007, 02:14 PM
This is a lucky Tokay, very luvky!!! And you are doing so well!!!
Congratulations Sharajane!! i think your doing the best for him!!

akaangela
03-25-2008, 12:49 AM
How is your Tokay doing now? It was great that you where able to save him... Good for you :D

phearamedusa
03-25-2008, 01:49 AM
While the decision about putting an animal down is hard, I try to consider how their life would be if I kept them alive. If I thought I was just prolonging their suffering, while it broke my heart to do it, I had them put down. If I thought their quality of life would not suffer, then I kept them as long as I could. Sometimes its so hard to tell...other times its all too easy.

I'm glad things have turned out so well for you and your rescue gecko. He looks so much better then the first pictures posted. :yahoo: