PDA

View Full Version : Looking into Tokays

ReptileChick
03-23-2007, 02:46 AM
I've read a few care sheets, but I like to ask questions. Sorry if they are repetitive within the forum!

I have a 3FT x 2FT x 2FT tank that will soon be empty. Is it possible to house a pair of Tokays in that size of tank? I'll need to make some sort of lid, other than the wooden one it came with, but no problem there. I plan on getting the tank started as soon as I can with plants and such, then getting the pair once I'm satisfied with my knowledge of their care, and the look of their tank.

Is there much worry of impaction with these, that I would need to feed them in a separate enclosure? Don't want to hurt the little (...) guy and girl.

With incubation...what temps? I am fixing to breed crested geckos and viper geckos, so just need to know if I need to get another havobator.

And I know NOTHING about morphs, so if you don't mind, post some labeled images to show me what I can choose from.

Thanks everyone!

cliff_f
03-23-2007, 11:17 PM
That size of cage would work great for a pair of tokays it would even work for a trio. I would say stay away from that orchard bark for a substrate you can use paper towls, that is pretty simple. You can also use organic top soil with a mixture of peatmoss. I would just stay away for that wood chunks. Incubation temps on them can range anywhere from 72-89F right now I have some incubating at 85F. I would recomend getting the book "General Care and Maintenance of Tokay Geckos and Related Sepecies" That will help you out alot.

ReptileChick
03-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks!

I was planning on using Eco-Earth for the substrate.

So, if it stays around 70ish in my room, they can incubate WITHOUT the incubator?

I'll look into getting that book. Thanks!

cliff_f
03-24-2007, 11:46 AM
If it stays in the 70s in your room they can incbate without the incubator, but with lower temps it takes longer so most likely it will take the full 200 days for them to incubate.

ReptileChick
03-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Yes, I thought about that after I posted. I'll probably get the incubator then. First I need to convince my mom to let me get more geckos...hehe!

jimski427
05-05-2007, 11:23 AM
well, sometimes it is imposible to move them to the incubator, if they lay on the wall like mine has been known to do from time to time, you cant move it

BlakeDeffenbaugh
05-06-2007, 03:06 AM
Mine are stuck to a big ass log in the cage so their temps have been between 73-88ish. Always hatch out though . . . if they take longer just means they'll be bigger lol.