PDA

View Full Version : My tokay is getting pretty skinny and not really eating.....

nuggular
03-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Well I had to separate my tokay geckos because one was getting more food than the other. That was like 5 months ago. I believe I have a male and female, or just 2 females. They got along pretty well. Anyways, I had to temporaliy split there tank in-half until I got another 55 gallon. I got the other 55 two months ago and set it up and got the skinnier one into it so he could be in peace in the frog room.

He really hasnt eaten much since then, if at all. I cant really tell. I offer him super worms, giant mealies, and large crickets. And nothin works. I never covered his tank sides or back, so that might have something to do with it. But I am only in that room like 5-6 times a day. For not that long. So for the most part its just him and the frogs. He is on the top shelf of my newest frog rack. About 7 ft to the top of the tank.

He really doesnt move much from his cork log. Just hides in there all the time. Then if he is out getting some heat, he runs back into the log as soon as I walk in there.

I just covered the all sides of the tank including the front, and thats about where my ideas run out. Everything in the tank is fine, temps are good, humidity is fine, and there are plenty of plants and hiding spots. I've had this guy for about 4 years now, so I dont get this.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thx.

cliff_f
03-26-2007, 07:08 PM
It sounds like you are doing everything to keep him stress free. Have you opened his mouth to make sure he dosnt have a RI(respritory infection)? You can use a Q-tip and hold his mouth open and make sure he dosnt have a bunch of mucus looking stuff in there. Sometimes before a RI gets very bad you wont notice the bubbles coming out of his nose and all that so check and make sure he isnt on the verge of a bad RI.

nuggular
03-27-2007, 09:07 AM
thx for the reply :D I will check his mouth soon.

nuggular
03-27-2007, 02:12 PM
I just got the fecal in this afternoon. It could be like a week old or so, so I hope they can still tell. He hasnt eaten, therefore he hasnt pooped either.

I tried to get him out of his cork log today to look at him and the inside of his mouth to make sure it didnt have mouth rot. I couldnt get him out, but I didnt get him to open his mouth. Its still nice and black and no white gunky stuff in there. So thats good. Just waiting on the fecal now.

stingray
03-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Most likely picked up an internal parasite. Keep us posted on the fecal results.

nuggular
03-28-2007, 08:41 AM
The fecal came back negative. Which is good. But the poo was so old I can imagine it might not have any traces of parasites left.

Does anyone know if there should have at least been some traces of parasites in his poo. Chances are the poo was at about a week or so old.

I got more foliage for his tank last night and some more sticks for climbing and cover. I will be leaving his tank completely covered for as long as he needs to get back to eating and acting normal.

stingray
03-28-2007, 12:04 PM
I was always told that fecal samples can not be no more than 24 hours old.

SsarahH
03-29-2007, 08:03 PM
It is best if they are a fresher sample, as Stingray said within 24 hours is best. Try putting him in a moist deli cup for a little while...this is what we usually do with our geckos and they will usually leave a nice fresh sample for us.

Also, just because they didn't see any parasites when looking under the microscope does not mean that there are none present.

I think your best bet would be to get a fresher sample in and have it re-checked just to make sure. (If you get a sample like the night before, refrigerate it until you can get it in the next day.)

Keep us posted.