PDA

View Full Version : dry catfood for roaches

HepCatMoe
03-26-2007, 10:38 PM
is it ok to use the catfood straight out of the bag? or do i need to grind it basically to dust first?

also, i heard that its possible for the protein in catfood to go bad and cause problems for the geckos (via the ****roaches). anybody else heard this?

zBrinks
04-10-2007, 11:31 AM
I breed lateralis and dubia, and, along with fresh veggies, I mix dry cat food, flax seed, and a little bit of multivitamin/mineral/naturose together in the blender, grind it into a fine powder, and store it in gallon ziploc freezer bags. Ive nver heard of/had an issue with it going bad, short of putting too much in the roach culture at once, and having it go moldy on me.

Elizabeth Freer
05-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Hi ~

Don't use dry cat or dog food as part of any gutload for feeder insects destined for geckos. Each contains far too much minimim crude fat. Be certain to check the labels.

I would keep the minimum crude fat level for any gutload at about 4%!

Palex134
05-07-2007, 12:23 AM
I also find it makes my roach container smell.

oli
07-20-2007, 10:18 AM
good info to know, you think it would be ok to supplement dry or soft cat food to mice while they are breeding, or just as a high soure of protein for an occassional snack for my rodents(mice, rats)???

sarahjane85
07-20-2007, 05:28 PM
A good source of protein is oats (very cheap if you buy it in bulk). It contains complex carbohydrates and iron, and also a substantial amount of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants.....
I make my own roach/cricket chow consisting of: organic oats, wheat, and rye flakes, kelp, nutritional yeast, bee pollen, and unhulled sesame seeds (calcium) all put in the food processor.

Sarah.