PDA

View Full Version : E. agricolae egg laying preferences

Rotto
04-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Does E. agricolae have any particular preferences when it comes to laying their eggs? I have witnessed a number of copulations with my 1.1, but havent found any eggs yet. So either there has been no egg laying, or I've missed the eggs...

Tips are welcome :D

BR
Rickard

DDReptiles
04-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Hey Rotto,

I was just talking to someone the other day with the same problem (witnessed mating and still no eggs). They were using a heavy dirt substrate and I guess the geckos can't move this.

I use a mix of peat moss and coco fiber and stir it around every few days to keep it "puffy" and airated. I have not had any problems with them not laying in this.

How deep is you substrate? You are using a natural setup right? Sure you just can't find them?

Thanks

Rotto
04-12-2007, 01:23 AM
Hi,
i'm using a mix of soil and sand, which is quite light. It is however a bit compact, which might make digging hard.

The substrate is about 5 cm deep (2 inches), so there is a possibility that i have missed the eggs.

Hopefully I've just missed them, a fertility problem would really suck...

I'm moving them to a new cage within the next couple of days, so that i can clean sweep the old one... guess i should re-think what substrate I'm going to use.

BR
Rickard

Rotto
04-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Found three eggs, turned two of them over in the process :(

DDReptiles
04-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Congrats, I found another 2 eggs today as well, they are smaller than the female who laid them last clutch. Though her last clutch the eggs were the size of small ciliatus eggs so maybe they are just normal size LOL

How did you find 3?? Were they just hidden in the enclosure somewhere? Sorry to hear you flipped 2, maybe they will come through?

Rotto
04-13-2007, 12:02 AM
The first two was found after stiring around the substrate (tried to be very carefull, but not enough) the third was found close to the second. All eggs had been buried in the substrate, without any clues what so ever on their location.

Hopefully the two that i turned will hatch out, dont know how likely they are to do so. Since I've witnessed copulation yesterday there should be a new clutch on its way, i'll "try" not to flip those...

BR
Rickard

Ken Bartenfeld
04-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Ok, I do this and have had hatched over 20 E. agricolae.

First, just get a round 4" glad cup. Don't put anything over top. Add a slight amount of coco fiber to the bottom or vermiculite, and on top add a smaller layer of sphangum moss...mix it a little bit and then press it down so it's some what firm. Add a branch or piece of wood so they can easily climb in or out and you should have no problems. And of course this substrate should be moist. And the total depth of mine is usually only one inch and I can usually see the eggs just by looking in the container.

Good luck and hope you do well...also, they seem to love calcium.

Rotto
04-18-2007, 01:45 PM
How long does incubation last, at 75-79F?

Ken, I think its time you posted that caresheet :D

Ken Bartenfeld
04-18-2007, 03:15 PM
I will as soon as I get all my stuff situated. It's a nice one too! It is on my old computer and I just picked it up yesterday. I never paid attention to how long it took honestly. Or if I did, I don't remember :roll: I think it was around 62 days and it was about 75 in my apt at the time. I found the coolest spot to incubate them at.

Rotto
05-12-2007, 06:43 AM
Found two more eggs today, and even managed to remove them without turning them :D

jaysommers
05-16-2007, 11:34 AM
I would not be so concerned about turning your eggs.It is really a non-issue especially as freshly laid as yours are when you find them.Unless you are juggling them it shouldn't cause you any problems with hatch ratios.