PDA

View Full Version : Keeping males and females together

tanala
04-20-2007, 04:12 AM
How long do you guys keep the male and the female togehter during breeding season? Im a beginner in cat gecko breeding; put one of my males into the female's cage two months ago. I see no signs of gravidity to date; separated them yesterday.
Another question is; could it be that females retain eggs in presence of a male? My second female, which gave me the first two eggs in mid-february, hasn't laid a second clutch since then, although she looks gravid. I put the male into her cage in march, but separatet them again yesterday, too.
Regards
Sebastian

kenya_1977
04-23-2007, 12:34 PM
I think their retaining of sperm is going to persist whether or not there are males present. Most likely it is temperature and stress related. If she laid in mid Feb I'd give her until May before giving up on her being gravid. I'd also recommend weighing your cat geckos to see what their weight fluctuations are. You'll find that a female drops a lot of weight upon laying, gradually puts it back on, but will only reach a certain weight when she's not gravid again. If you weigh a really gravid female you should be seeing weights over 17g a lot of the time it's almost 20g or over depending on the female. Most of mine are under 16g if they are not gravid, but there are a few exceptions out there.

I wouldn't recommend leaving in a male that long. I left in my last male only three days, and in other cases at most a week with successful mating. The prolonged exposure could lead to stress, and therefore egg absorption.

tanala
04-23-2007, 01:31 PM
thanks for your comments. Both females have weights of 19 and 19,5 g.
The reason why i left the males in the females cages that long was that i wasn't sure if they were mating. So your experiences are that a few days are enough? Maybe the male needs some time to get used ro the new environment? How often did you observe matings? How long did they take?
Lot of questions..

kenya_1977
04-23-2007, 02:33 PM
I have not actually caught anyone mating, but I can usually see a little scruffing has been done on the female at the nape of her neck. That was actually with a male that had only been in the cage for one day. I took him out the next day and she is gravid now.

They don't really seem to waste any time. I leave them in a week when I'm not sure if anything has happened.

Unless you have unusually large females those sound like gravid weights.

tanala
04-23-2007, 05:41 PM
i wouldn't say they're unusuallly large. Around 18-20 cm.
Fingers crossed...time will tell
Thanks,
Sebastian