PDA

View Full Version : Chahoua not breeding

Reptiluvr
05-08-2007, 04:31 PM
I have had my pair of chahouas together for about 2 months now with no signs of breeding activity. It took the female a couple weeks to shed some of her timid behavior but even now there is no breeding activity. They are in a 20" cube Barrs cage with cypress mulch substrate, several horizontal and vertical branches, one piece of grapewood and some plastic plants. I've had an egg laying container in there since the 1st week of April. The temps hang around 84F on the ground at one end of the enclosure and about 78F on the other during the day. At night the temp drops to 73F. I mist them twice daily so the humidity throughout the day is around 60%. They're eating lateralis roaches and the occasional bit of squashed banana. Why is my girl prude? Can anyone offer advice to promote breeding? Also, are these geckos vocal at all??

jpstodwftexas
05-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Not being an expert..even I would have to ask

Do you know the actual age of the Female?
It could be thats she has not reached sexual Maturity yet.

luc
05-09-2007, 07:47 AM
I think you just need to be patient, 2 months is nothing. I have been breeding with my 1.1 chahoua's for the last 3 years and I have never seen them mate. And yes they are vocal.

Reptiluvr
05-09-2007, 09:16 AM
The female is almost 3 years old, the male about 2 years. I'm not surprised I wouldn't see actual copulation but I am anxious to start seeing her gain some weight around the hips. 8)

Sabol
05-23-2007, 01:37 PM
i would maybe separate them for a week or two... then reintroduce the female to the males cage... i keep my chews separate. And as soon as i place the female back into the cage ,the male comes over to investigate with slight head jerking .they have copulated in less then 5 mins , for about 20mins in length..right in front of me...
Good luck
and maybe clean out the cage well to remove any scent markings...