PDA

View Full Version : Incubation Help!

Mack2
05-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Iím having a slight problem with incubation. I have lost my first four clutches full term. They incubate for roughly 110 to 120 days and die. Temps range from 70-74, humidity ranges from 80-90%, and I use perlite. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mackenzie

GenAureliano
05-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Are they hatching and dieing days later or are you opening up the egg? Everything in you incubation seems just fine. Maybe the humidity is a bit higher than I use but it should be okay.

kenya_1977
05-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Are you making sure that they have a good day night swing in temperatures?

gollum
05-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Kenya, the room temperature is ok? I have 2 eggs now at 19-20įC without night swing (or little bit).
Thanks

kenya_1977
05-21-2007, 01:44 PM
The night day swing is essential to cat gecko incubation. If you don't allow for a swing you will not hatch out healthy babies. They will develop, but they end up with various maladies. I'm betting that this is why you are seeing them just not hatch. Also, at low 70s you can see incubation taking up to 4-5 months.

I set mine up in an incubator on a timer, with it turning off at night. Incubator temperatures get up to 78, but once off drop down to 68-70. I've hatched out healthy babies this way so far. I started this mostly because winter time temperatures are a little low to incubate them at room temperature. I was seeing some low temperature issues as well.

mat.si
05-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Hi!
All my felinus eggs hatched successfully in about three months at room temperatures of about 20 to 26 C.

Matjaz

kenya_1977
05-21-2007, 05:13 PM
After translating the temperature 19-20 C (68F) is not a good long term incubation temperature. They can drop to 19 C, but should have rises up to 26 C (79F) like mat.si says.

Mack2
05-21-2007, 05:45 PM
I have an approximate swing of 6 degrees nightly, any other ideas. They die in the egg, I don't open them until there are totally engulfed in mold.

Mackenzie

GenAureliano
05-21-2007, 06:21 PM
This may sound a bit ridiculous but are they getting enough oxygen? I have never seen it be too much of an issue with geckos but have run into the problem with monitor eggs. As the fetus(?) in the egg reaches later states of development its metabolic rate and respiration increase producing more CO2 and using up more O2. I doubt this is the issue but make sure you open up the incubation box every few days, especially if it has little ventilation. I also try and keep my eggs from getting more than 51% burried in the vermiculite.

Sorry but I can only think of a few things that are complete stretches. I think my eggs only see about a 4-5F deg swing between night and day, but maybe it is more as I always have a window open in that room at night at haven't really made close observations on night-time temps.

Afelinus
05-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Mackenzie,what is your method of setting up the Perlite you use,and how much water are you adding to it after the initial hydration of the Perlite?

Mack2
05-21-2007, 09:50 PM
This may sound a bit ridiculous but are they getting enough oxygen?

Iíve had success with Uroplatus set up in the same manor. But maybe, thanks

Mackenzie,what is your method of setting up the Perlite you use,and how much water are you adding to it after the initial hydration of the Perlite?

I saturate the Perlite completely then add dry Perlite. I donít add any water there after unless it dries out, which it usually doesnít.

Iím thinking about switching to vermiculite? Any opinions. Thanks for the help thus far.

Riverside Reptiles
05-21-2007, 10:18 PM
I use vermiculite and RO water in a 1:1 ratio by weight with no added water afterwards with very good sucess.

Mack2
05-21-2007, 10:27 PM
I use vermiculite and RO water in a 1:1 ratio by weight with no added water afterwards with very good sucess.

I'll give it a shot. I was using tap water, that didn't even occur to me until now. Thanks

Mackenzie

GenAureliano
05-22-2007, 05:41 PM
I use tap water in my vermiculite also and it has never been a problem. I don't think salts will readily move across the egg membrane but maybe they will. I do mist my eggs and vermiculite every few weeks for a couple of seconds to bring the humidity back up. I mix my vermiculite to feel too. You should add enough water so that when you grab a clump of it in your hand and squeeze it, no water squeezes out but the vermiculite holds a compacted shape. But the 1:1 water ratio is probably a more accurate way to go.