PDA

View Full Version : Two baby tokays!

John_Woodward
05-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Well here are my first two baby tokays ive ever hatched, hopefully not the last two, though since these eggs were layed i have not gotten a single clutch from my 1.2, i havent changed anything at all, and they still get fed TONS but no eggs, all the same.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/Geckodude12/IMG_2783.jpg

vierfleck
05-21-2007, 02:10 AM
Hi John,

i have the same problem,the same setup since 1,5 years and no eggs.I have 1,2,too.

Congratz,its a real success!

regards

Matthias

Sgvreptiles
05-21-2007, 02:16 AM
I cant wait to get these dudes on Tuesday!

L.A.C. Herps
05-21-2007, 11:35 AM
tokays are so badass.
As for the comments on breeding, how do you have them set up? I don't have breeding tokays yet, but I know for the G. vittatus they love a nice hot spot ( around 85-90) and become extremely active at night after giving them a good heavy spraying. I had WC G. vittatus as a pair for over 3 years before getting any eggs, and now she just lays like crazy. The cage hasn't changed a bit, but I think I'm keeping them a bit warmer, spraying more, and also offering a variety of food, which I feel helps trigger higher activity and better breeding as well.

cliff_f
05-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Tokays love the nice hot spot like Andrew said. I also try not to let my the temp drop below 75 at night. They seem to stay more active if you keep them at 75 or above at night, witch in return meens they will most likely be breeding. Also you might want to only feed them every other day. I only feed mine 4-6 crickets a piece depending on the size of the cricket, smaller crickets I might throw 8 a piece in for them. If you feed them to much they get full and lazy and dont breed as well.

John_Woodward
05-22-2007, 10:56 PM
hey cliff, thanks a bunch for your help man, im really gonna change some stuff around with mine , i love tokays, and really want to start readily breeding them. I feed mine like 30+ crickets every third day, and they never really seem to get fat or anything, they are constantly hungry, i dont think they have parasites though because they come from high quality cbb stock. I think my main problem is temps though, so im going to do what i can about them and see if the warmer temps will stimulate more breeding.

cliff_f
05-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Tokays can eat alot but just because they can dosnt mean they should. Mine all do great on 4-6 a piece so basically I am throwing around 15 crickets every other day to them. I do splurge and feed them alot every once in a while. I try to feed them just enough that they will eat and not have extra crickets running around the cage stressing them out. I used to let my tokays temps drop pretty low at night untill I went to a guys house that breeds over 250 diff species of gecko and seen how he keeps most of his geckos. In his room it stays nice and warm and humid night and day. If you think about it Tokays are from Asia. Do you really think that it gets dosn to 70-72F(most homes room temp) every night, it is usually still in the 80s or so at night and nice and humid. Once I put that into consideration my tokays have been breeding like crazy. I have hatched out 3 so far this year, I have had a few bad clutches and I have 6 eggs right now incubating.

jpstodwftexas
05-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Tokays can eat alot but just because they can dosnt mean they should. Mine all do great on 4-6 a piece so basically I am throwing around 15 crickets every other day to them. I do splurge and feed them alot every once in a while. I try to feed them just enough that they will eat and not have extra crickets running around the cage stressing them out. I used to let my tokays temps drop pretty low at night untill I went to a guys house that breeds over 250 diff species of gecko and seen how he keeps most of his geckos. In his room it stays nice and warm and humid night and day. If you think about it Tokays are from Asia. Do you really think that it gets dosn to 70-72F(most homes room temp) every night, it is usually still in the 80s or so at night and nice and humid. Once I put that into consideration my tokays have been breeding like crazy. I have hatched out 3 so far this year, I have had a few bad clutches and I have 6 eggs right now incubating.

Spefically Which Part of Asia do they come from

Central Asia:
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyzstan
Tajikistan
Turkmenistan
Uzbekistan
Eastern Asia:
People's Republic of China
Hong Kong
Japan
Macau
Mongolia
North Korea
South Korea
Republic of China (Taiwan)
Northern Asia:
Russia
Southeastern Asia
Brunei
Cambodia
Indonesia
Laos
Malaysia
Myanmar
Philippines
Singapore
Thailand
Timor-Leste
Vietnam
Southern Asia:
Afghanistan
Bangladesh
Bhutan
India
Iran
Maldives
Nepal
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Western Asia:
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Bahrain
Cyprus
Gaza
Georgia
Iraq
Israel
Jordan
Kuwait
Lebanon
Oman
Qatar
Saudi Arabia
Syria
Turkey
United Arab Emirates
West Bank
Yemen

What exactly is the weather pattern to the specific region they are native to.

cliff_f
05-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Myanmar (= Burma), Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, S China, Philippine Islands (Palawan, Calamian Islands, Panay, Luzon), Indonesia (Borneo, Sumatra, Java, Sulawesi, Lombok, Flores, Timor, Aru),

Does that help a little?

jpstodwftexas
05-24-2007, 06:34 PM
ok that does narrow it down to warmer climates in "ASIA", but Iam sure that certain times of the year it might get below 70*F every night.

In a man made enviroment certainly we can control the temperature for optimum breeding, but is that really healthy for the animals themselves

cliff_f
05-24-2007, 10:12 PM
I think it is healthy for my animals. I have never had any problems. Thats why it is also your job to keep a eye on you animals and if you think you are having problems figure out what they are and change it.

danscantle
05-29-2007, 11:20 AM
I've collected tokays so I can tell you the places they come from are HOT and HUMID.

How hot and humid? Run 5 miles (8km) in 90F weather. As soon as you are finished, hold your arm against your side and take a temperature and humidity reading of your armpit.

If your cages are dropping below 80F at night, you are keeping them too cool. I would also consider a hot spot around 95F. It is hot and humid in SE Asia.

They are big, bad geckos, that should keep you and your neighbors up all night with their calls.

cliff_f
05-30-2007, 07:06 PM
danscantle, thanks for the input. That is very helpful. I know tokays can do fine with cooler temps, but if you want them to breed you need to keep them pretty warm.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
05-31-2007, 02:02 AM
I think the temp thing is my big problem. I get eggs about 4-5 times a year if I'm lucky. My temps get down in the mid-high 70's at night. Might put a lower wattage bulb over them to keep it in the 80's at night.. ACTUALLY I just looked over at my pairs cage and hes on the side of the tank humping the hell out of her. . .heres to some new eggs in about a month!!!...must be doin somethin right after all lol.

Sgvreptiles
05-31-2007, 10:22 AM
I got these two tokays now. And am keeping them nice and warm all day and night. There pretty cool little geckos.