View Full Version : pair of tokay- dilema

05-30-2007, 01:33 PM
should i separate my pair of tokay?
she has laid here second egg... she laid 2 clutch and this one is one egg like the first one...
those 2 cluches r here first eaven though she is 4 -5 years at least.
should i separate cause she looks thin....
if i let them be together will he stop mateing here soon or he is gonna be persistent till
she drops?

05-30-2007, 06:55 PM
You shouldnt have to seperate your tokays. I would make sure she is getting plenty of food and calcium and supplements if she looks thin, but there should be no reason to seperate them ever unless she just get really sick for some reason.

05-30-2007, 08:11 PM
ohhhh that is new for me :)...
i had in plan to separate them cause i separate all of me geckos and chameleoes ,bearded dragons and so..cause i dont want female to get over breed....
for exsamlple my male leo breed those females all over the year so i have to give females a break....
back to tokay:she is not tin-tin...she justo got skinny cause of depositing the eggs....those r my first eggs (actually first in my country too) so it is a bit new ...i ma scared that male is gonna break the eggs or fell on them or something....
or that he is gonna eat the young as soon as they hech ...but knowledble people told me that it is not likely that's gonna happend so i am just wateing..
thanks a lot friend :)

05-30-2007, 08:18 PM
well congrats on your first tokays eggs! I have had a breeding pair together for 3 years now and never seperated them. If you get worried about over breeding it wouldnt hurt to drop the temps down in the mids 70s at night for a few months. Tokays are great parents they usually wont break their eggs, it wouldnt be a bad idea to cover them with a deli cup or something so you dont risk getting them broke. It is very unlikely that any of the parents will hurt the eggs unless they are unfirtile. I do take some eggs out(still stuck on the furniture they were laid on) if I can and put them in a incubator, but for the most part I just leave them in the cage and they do fine. Just make sure when you mist not to soak the eggs.

05-30-2007, 09:18 PM

ill live them alone...i am afraid that daily cup is not gonna stic to the surface of the encloser good enough..and it will be a good surface for male to heng on...(he will do it just to pis me of :) ) and he is not a little guy..he is 260g