PDA

View Full Version : just something interesting....

Starrynightexotics
06-11-2007, 08:33 PM
This is a female Sphaerodactylus macrolepis grandisquamis and her young. Ive been doing a little experimenting as most sources cite a definite tolerance for the young in this genus (as far as its been documented at least). The little guy is about 4 weeks old (was incubated and raised in situ... Ill be removing it in a week or two). The female is in the background.. the male stays scarce since the young one arrived (blame him?). The really interesting thing is the sequence of events up to this photo. The female and juvenile became interested in the same prey item at about the same point.... I dont know if she was just full, but it appeared that when she saw the juvenile headed for the same target she stopped her forward progress. Not sure what to read into it, hope you all enjoy the photos nonetheless.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a367/Midwestherps/000_0610.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a367/Midwestherps/000_0614.jpg

Sgvreptiles
06-11-2007, 09:36 PM
That is awsome Tom! Such cool looking geckos. Ide love to get some sphaerodactylus.Pm me if you got some.

phelsumatic
06-11-2007, 10:37 PM
I have seen this before in phelsuma cool non the less.

Lygodactylus
06-12-2007, 05:08 PM
I have the same experience with my fantasticus. It took my about 4 (guess) weeks to find it, so i'm sure the parents tolerate their babies in their neighbourhood, just like my gonatodes sp. do :)

danscantle
06-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Hey Tom-

When I bred spanius and grandisquamis I had some hatch in situ, no problems. When I was producing tons of elegans I put some artificially incubated babies (ages 1 day - 2 monts ) in with the parents to see what would happen. Interestingly, the mother picked on the oldest young (the ones with fadding pattern).

On a similar topic (since someone mentioned Phelsuma), I'm raising P. dubia up with their parents. The oldest are looking like 1.2, and still no aggression. There's no sign of even passive aggression. They climb over eachother, use the cage space as they see fit, lap yogurt side by side. A few weeks ago I offered them bee pollen for the first time. I wish I had a video of the incident, because it really seemed like the mother led her young to this strange new food source, and assured them it was safe to eat. Very strange.

Brian
06-13-2007, 12:34 AM
If you guys want to see some funny stuff or cause confusion try really scenting a novel prey item as a young gecko.