PDA

View Full Version : Things that go bump in the night

Brian
06-18-2007, 04:06 AM
Any tips for working in the cage are appreciated. I hate chasing these things around the room or getting bit by 12+ inch long geckos.

The first one is still gaining weight.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s199/GeckoStuff/greeneye1.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s199/GeckoStuff/greeneye2.jpg

cliff_f
06-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Dont get your fingers near their mouth.

pyro4fun
06-19-2007, 09:53 PM
LoL nice advice cliff... :lol:

I like the green eyes, he looks great.
I try to work in there tank as fast as possible or try to catch him with a glove. other than that Cliff's advice is a good rule of thumb.
No pun intended :D

sarahjane85
06-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Hey Brian. I work in the tank before sunset and have bamboo tubes that my male likes to hide in -- it's a matter of simply removing the tube with them in it. I should let you know though, I've never had any serious aggression issues and can actually hand feed him crickets.
It's my golden that makes me anxious whenever I have to open the top b/c he's right there. He's never even tried to bite me but he's quick as lightning and starts jerking his whole body all over the place! :lol:
So I have a large brown glass that I trained him to go into while I clean.

Sarah.

Brian
06-28-2007, 11:33 PM
How did you train him? I may try the bamboo thing if I can find one big enough these guys are over a foot long.

Good news the skinny one has started adding muscle mass back on and hips are barely visible.

sarahjane85
06-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Patience. It took about 3 weeks of coaxing but now he jumps right in because he knows he'll be fed immediately after. I remove everything from the tank beforehand. I try to associate a stressful situation with something pleasant/reward afterwards, like a tasty morsel. It works. I use this on several occasions, like when I need to remove stuck shed or administer an injection. This is how I'm able to hold the Gekko gekko I recently acquired. The downside is that I don't know how aggressive that they can be -- only from what I've read.

I bought a 6ft. long piece of bamboo from Michael's (crafts) for $6 and used a hand saw to cut it into various lengths. Check to see if there's one located where you live. Just make sure you don't buy one that has been stained (usually green) or has a coating of shellac.

I bumped up the temps on my smithii and fed him every day, 4-5 large crickets or 3-5 med. roaches. It does seem to take forever for them to put on any substantial weight though.

Sarah.

Riverside Reptiles
07-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Back when I used to have tokay I would just pin them to the glass by placing my hand over their whole head and body. Then you can grab them and take them out to place in another container while you clean, etc. You have to be quick and at the same time gentle enough to not squash them. It's kind of like working with a croc. Once you get it's mouth closed, they're pretty easy to work with. I'd practice with a glove on the first few times though :wink:

snotjello
07-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Hi.

I'm new here, so be gentle. :D

Has anyone ever considered an enclosure with a divider, so you can work in one side at a time? One might even coax the geckos to one side or the other using temperature changes.

Good idea? Bad idea?

A question I have--and this seems to be a good thread for it--is, has anyone here actually been bitten by a Tokay? If so, define the word "hurt". Different people have different pain thresholds. I'm just curious. I'm gecko-less at the moment, but am planning on getting some Tokays again after many years. Yeah, I used to have some, but I never got bit. Can someone compare their bite to something? I'm just curious how much of it is just about their vicious demeanor and if it's really as bad as one expects.

The main reason I want to know is if I ever DO get nailed, I want to be prepared for it and not jerk away and accidentally fling the poor critter across the room.

cliff_f
07-07-2007, 11:53 PM
Well, alot of it depends on the size of the tokay but wc tokays they are the smaller ones and it is more of a cuss at them cause that stings a little type hurt. My big cbb females they usually draw blood and well my big male that about 6 months ago when i weighed him he was at 175 grams. Last time I got nailed by him he layed me open good and it took awhile to get it to stop bleeding. But honestly most Tokays that people get are smaller and the bite is no big deal to handle. But when you do start getting some nice big healthy ones they bite can be really painful.

snotjello
07-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Interesting. Thanks.

I've got a fairly high tolerance for pain, so it's not like I'm worried or anything. Just curious.

Where do they get that strength, though? Yeah, they have some heavy duty jaws, but they just don't look like they'd have that kind of leverage... except for the really big ones.

It's amazing.

Brian
07-22-2007, 10:44 PM
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s199/GeckoStuff/greeneyeroach.jpg

Bonus pic

MattL
07-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Didn't know you got some Brian...smithii correct? Good luck with them.

Matt