PDA

View Full Version : R. auriculatus: incubation temperature / sex ratio

mat.si
06-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Hi!
What kind of sex ratio do you get, when incubating auriculatus eggs at 28 C (= app. 82-83 F)?

Thanks.
Matjaz

DDReptiles
06-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Didn't think it was good to incubate at such high temps. :?

mat.si
07-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Supposedly you need to, to get males.
It looks like you get almost all females, if you incubate at 26 C or at room temperatures of 21 to 26 C.

I just want to know the experiences of other breeders. What is the percentage of males at this incubation temperature (28C = 82 F)?
The Rhacodactylus book says you start getting about 50% males at this temperature.
Anybody got any info on this?

Matjaz

kanopy
07-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Matjaz,
There was a study made by DGHT (if my memory is good) a few years ago. At 28C you still have more females than males. When you incubate higher, at 31-32C, you obtain mostly males. I've tried to find back these study on their website but didn't succeed.Maybe you can try to contact them to get it.
I've myself incubate at such high temp and also got mostly males.
Hope that help,
Fred

Rotto
07-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Maybe this is what Fred is refering to:

http://www.rops-ev.de/proj-rhaco.htm

/
Rickard

kanopy
07-01-2007, 09:13 AM
Yes thanks for the link Rickard, that's what I was refering to.
Fred

mat.si
07-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Hi Fred & Rickard!
Thanks for this very helpful info.

Matjaz

David
07-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Great table!

So it seems that chahoua are TSD, I read that maybe they weren't..
Any input/confirmation would be very appreciated!

HouseholderGeckos
07-02-2007, 01:35 PM
I am thrilled to see this topic being discussed, but have a bit of a monkeywrench to throw in to the works. ..

I incubate all of my Rhac. eggs in shoeboxes on top of the cage from which the eggs came. Each cage has a small dome heat lamp w/ a 40 watt bulb to provide a temperature gradient in the cage. All of my geckos are in the basement where average room temps never get above mid 70's and are usually lower than that. The temperature in the egg boxes are usually mid to high 70's, 80 at the highest, during the day and lower at night when the lights are all off. My eggs are never exposed to temps above 80 and so far this year I have hatched almost 100% male gargoyles. I do not know what to do. I would have loved this outcome a year or two ago when I was female heavy, but now I have males everywhere.

any ideas?

mat.si
07-03-2007, 06:17 AM
Wow, this is very interesting. Such opposing data. :shock:
This is my first year breeding auriculatus. I have 1.3 striped animals.
I'm incubating most of my auriculatus eggs at 28 C, a few at room temperatures and a few at 30C. I think I'll keep all of this year's babies until I can see their sex, just to be sure, how to incubate them in the future.
I know, there's always more females around, but I still hope I won't get too many males this year.

Matjaz

bleeding_sarcasm
07-18-2007, 03:38 AM
I am in the same boat, This last winter I incubated all of my rhacodactylus eggs VERY cold [mid to low 60s] and everything hit the 122 day mark before it hatched. I got a decent ratio of males. I once asked nicole chaney of stickytoegeckos and she said she incubates cold for males.

mat.si
07-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Wow, this is seriously messed up. :shock: :o :?
Would it be possible that more males hatch in the low and high ends of still acceptable incubation temperatures and more females in the middle??
This will be interesting. It will give me something to do with my auriculatus in the years to come. :)

Matjaz

bleeding_sarcasm
07-18-2007, 11:40 AM
I prefer incubating cold for a number of reasons, one, because it takes longer, and I find that neonates more fully absorb their yolk, and consequently are larger/more well started.

HouseholderGeckos
08-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Since posting here last I have also talked to several other people who agree that you can cook 'em hot or really cold and get males either way.