PDA

View Full Version : Getting my first gargoyle

Ianx
07-28-2007, 06:05 PM
tomorrow ill be getting my first gargoyle, a juvenile, at the montreal expo.

I've been reading care sheets here and there for a few weeks and reading books too but some says things and other says the opposite or almost. So i thought asking here for better advices and to make sure ill be setting up the tank properly.

The care and the tank set up seems to be quit the same as cresteds. But im really not sure about the lights, do they need UVA and UVB? and some says they need a hot spot around 84-86 fareneight, some dont.

As for the diet, is there any fruits that i should be avoiding? i dont wanna go and give some mashed fruits that could hurt him, but i think its pretty much like crested right?

Ill give him some GGD too as well as crickets, mashed fruits will be more as a treat.

since they are semi-arborial, should i provide more ground space then for crested, or the exo-terra will fit the needs? if i get a juvenile he will be set up in a kritter keepers little cage till he grows enough to be switch over an exo-terra, but i have a exo-terra 12x12x18 ready too, in case i get an adult or sub-adult gargoyle.

sorry for all these questions, its only that i wanna make sure everything is right for 2morrow and feel free to tell me if im doign something wrong or not.

thank you all

DDReptiles
07-28-2007, 06:49 PM
I feed the goyles the same as the cresteds, though they seem to like a pinkie mouse every now and then.

I don't give mine UV, though they do seem to like a slight hot spot.

Cage is pretty much the same as cresteds though maybe add a few more branches as opposed to lots of vines.

There is also a care-sheet on my website www.DDReptiles.net

Hope this helps,
Derek

Ianx
07-28-2007, 10:21 PM
thx for ur care sheet, It answered pretty much my questions! :D

Ianx
07-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Well i brought home my first Gargoyle!!!

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9738/gargoylere1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
the picture is not mine but from the breeder, Clint Hill

HouseholderGeckos
08-01-2007, 04:40 PM
I wish my first gargoyle had looked like that!

congrats

Ianx
08-02-2007, 01:36 AM
thank you!! yeah im very happy with it :D ,

allthough he seemed to be scared of crickets!!! idk how to make him understand that crickets is food!...maybe hes just shy or stressed still. ill give him the night to eat them then will take them out in the morning if they are not eaten to not add more stress to it.

ill post more pics soon since he shed last night. If anyone have good tips, it would be appreciated.