PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help!

deacon
08-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Well on Saturday I'm planning on rescuing a Tokay from a local pet shop (they have 3) that has them on sand with no hides no humidity just a water bowl anyhow I have been browsing the net for the past two days and been noticing a lot of conflicting care sheets. Well for starters I plan on housing him in a basic 10g aquarium till I can get his weight up anyhow what is the best tank for 1 Tokay to thrive in and what is a good substrate also can I dust with herptivite the first couple of days I plan on feeding him/her wax worms/cricks/mealies and lobsters. Or if possible anyone know of a good care sheet with pics

thanks

cliff_f
08-10-2007, 01:26 PM
First of all you might be rescuing a tokay from a pet store. But really you are just putting money in the pet store owners pocket so he can buy more tokay and do the same thing to them. IF you really want to help dont buy them, so the pet store owner wont buy any more reptiles if he cant sell any. But if you do get them here is a care sheet I have been working on. http://flockreptiles.com/tokay_Care_information.html

deacon
08-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Actually the Tokays went from 69.99 all the way down to 5.00 over a 4 month span since he can't sell them, also the shop is going out of business and closing its doors in like 2-3 weeks.

cliff_f
08-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Man if he went down that low sounds like he was trying to sell some wc tokays for a really high price, or if they are cb he is just really needing to get rid of them. Either way that is not a bad price and if he is closing his doors I would buy them up. I hope my care sheet helped you out a little. There is more than one way to keep a tokay, my care sheet is just how I keep them. I dont like to say my way is the only way but it works and I have proof it does. I would recomend what ever care sheet you read make sure who ever wrote it has alot of experience with them. There is alot of care sheets out there that people have wrote with minimal experience keeping or breeding the species. If you have any other questions just let me know.

deacon
08-12-2007, 10:38 PM
A few more questions I brought home the tokay yesterday anyhow it seems to be dark in color do they lighten up in color as they grow and is peat moss a suitable substrate

cliff_f
08-12-2007, 11:54 PM
Its probally dark because of the local it is from. I like to use peat moss mixed with a little sand, that works really well for me.

deacon
08-14-2007, 01:59 AM
How much should a 6inch Tokay be eating? I'm offering 1/2 inch cricks and 1/2 inch Lobsters and a couple of meal worms so far its only ate 1 crick and I think it ate the Lobster haven't been able to find it. There are about 10 cricks in its tank should I remove them if not eaten after a certain amount of time?Also I'm having a difficult time sexing it anybody have pics of a male vent and a female vent? Sorry for bombarding you guys with all these questions

cliff_f
08-14-2007, 10:25 PM
well I would say about 4-5 1/2 crickets but its hard to say without seeing him. Yes, you should remove the crickets if they are not eaten, I usually feed at nights and just wait till the next day to remove any extra crickets. Also if you have alot of extra crickets every feeding that means you are feeding to much.