PDA

View Full Version : Hello Geckophiles !

Marty
09-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself... I'm the new Administrator here on GU. You'll be seeing much more of me as I'm the new proud owner of this place. Nathan has been much too busy lately selling houses and decided to let me carry the torch. I have big plans for geckos unlimited. You'll be seeing a lot of turbulence here in the next little while. Few things that will be happening soon are:

Move to a new dedicated server
Move to vbulletin
Fully functional member gallery
Full classifieds system with payment integration
Completely new look
... and many more as we move forward

I'm sure you're curious...Am I into geckos???? Not yet :) I used to have some leaf tailed geckos, chameleons, snakes, insects, scorpions, tarantulas etc...you name it, I probably had it... that was few years ago. Now I'm mainly into dart frogs, Right now I have close to 200 darts.... but have been popping in here often just to drool over the very cool geckos you guys keep. I'll be setting up a gecko tank soon.

I'm also into orchids, though not as much as before... I run an orchid community. I'm also a full time IT guy with a wife and a 13 month old. I love running my orchid community and I'm sure I'll have a blast making this the best and friendliest site that it can be.

I'm really looking forward to learning more about geckos from all of you guys!

stay tuned :)

Marty

MK Geckos
09-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Very sweet! I can't wait to see this unfold!

Bowfinger
09-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Nice to have you here Marty. Sounds like you have a plan and hopefully will introduce us to new ideas with a different background. Change is not always easy or accepted but good results many times come from change, you have my support.

Riverside Reptiles
09-04-2007, 11:13 PM
WTF? :?

Protean
09-05-2007, 03:23 AM
**** it. I'll just say it like it is. I wish nathan was the person to say this. Not marty. This was nathan's baby and making. This type of revelation, true or untrue as it is, should have come from him. With out his support and initiation, this community would not have existed. I feel as if we just got a slap in the face not hearing the father of the forum spit it like it is.

i got the balls to start my businesses here and the ideas to expand them here. i seriously wish we had warning. I'm sure a group of us on the forum would've dropped the dough to make the site keep going. even if it meant losing money. if the changes listed above occur, we might as well have another kingsnake. If thats what i wanted, I'd advertise more on there.

jason p
Protean Terrarium Design

Marty
09-05-2007, 07:41 AM
f*** it. I'll just say it like it is. I wish nathan was the person to say this. Not marty. This was nathan's baby and making. This type of revelation, true or untrue as it is, should have come from him. With out his support and initiation, this community would not have existed. I feel as if we just got a slap in the face not hearing the father of the forum spit it like it is.

i got the balls to start my businesses here and the ideas to expand them here. i seriously wish we had warning. I'm sure a group of us on the forum would've dropped the dough to make the site keep going. even if it meant losing money. if the changes listed above occur, we might as well have another kingsnake. If thats what i wanted, I'd advertise more on there.

jason p
Protean Terrarium Design

Jason, I appreciate your honesty, but don't knock it just yet. Change isn't always bad. My objective is not to f@#$ up GU, but to make it much better, much bigger and much more functional for you and for everyone else. I didn't take it over just to derail it. The idea is to expand on Nathan's work and to make this place the best it can be. From what I see this community is awesome, but it lacks sooo much functionality that I feel it hinders its development. The objective still is and always will be 'free exchange of gecko information' and bringing the global gecko community together. Come along for the ride, tell it how it is, but don't panic ;-)

Don't worry this won't be another kingsnake, this will be GU2.0 !

Afelinus
09-05-2007, 07:51 AM
I would like to ask a question,and hope you answer it honestly .Did you buy this site ?Thanks,Marcus.

Marty
09-05-2007, 09:17 AM
I would like to ask a question,and hope you answer it honestly .Did you buy this site ?Thanks,Marcus.

Hey Marcus, yes I did. Does that make me a bad person???? :lol:

Jan Grathwohl
09-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Hi Marty

I understand the concern of Marcus

If you bought this forum, you must have some intention of making it profitable - right?

Personaly i have always liked GU because it was low-profile, with only focus on seriousness - not about getting the masses, but getting the right kind of people to post. Quality - not Quantity.

I hope that you will keep the forum totally free of cost to the normal user - and make it possible for us as users to still trade freely among each others in the classifieds - otherwise i think you will see a lot of people leaving - and that would be a shame :(

I have faith in you keeping this forum the best - although i will seriously be missing Nathan as the Captain :)

Nathan Hall
09-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Well, I was going to make the initial post and let you guys know. Marty and I have been bouncing ideas around for some time, and I trust his technical skill and professionalism. I simply don't have time to give the forums (my baby) time and attention they deserve. I want the forums to remain the best gecko forums out there. Marty is going to do some amazing things!!! I will still be around as a moderator. Nothing is going to change there. Actually, you will see a lot more of me. I've known for a long time that the forums are way too big for me to handle any longer. Like Marty mentioned, my new career keeps me quite busy. This is all positive stuff, guys. I didn't spend thousands of hours in vain to just hand the forums over to anyone. Go look at Marty's orchid forum, and you will see why this decision was made. Feel free to call me at 512-914-0435 if you have any additional questions. I'm excited to see the forums get the attention that they desperately need and deserve.

Nathan Hall
09-05-2007, 10:25 AM
f*** it. I'll just say it like it is. I wish nathan was the person to say this. Not marty. This was nathan's baby and making. This type of revelation, true or untrue as it is, should have come from him. With out his support and initiation, this community would not have existed. I feel as if we just got a slap in the face not hearing the father of the forum spit it like it is.

You are absolutely right, Jason. BTW, sorry I haven't called :oops: . I was going to make the first post and let everyone know. This will always be my baby. Marty has the IT skills to keep the forums running smoothly, and he is truly a herp hobbyist. He is one of us. I beg all of you to hang tight and watch the forums grow wings and fly, with Marty's help. I've discussed all of the fundamental concerns with Marty over and over. He put my mind at ease and will prove that this is an extremely wise and critical decision.

Nathan Hall
09-05-2007, 10:28 AM
This has nothing to do with money. Period! The point of all of this is to better the forums. Marty has my complete support! Let him work some magic.

THIS WILL BE NOTHING LIKE KINGSNAKE.COM. We actually have a tight community here.

Nathan Hall
09-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Afelinus wrote:

Hey Marcus, yes I did. Does that make me a bad person????
Marcus, I spent a nice chunk of change to keep the forums going for as long as they have. Marty didn't pay a lot for the forums. That's not the point. I just wanted to pay the website and forum expenses.

Nathan Hall
09-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Hi Marty

If you bought this forum, you must have some intention of making it profitable - right?

Personaly i have always liked GU because it was low-profile, with only focus on seriousness - not about getting the masses, but getting the right kind of people to post. Quality - not Quantity.

I hope that you will keep the forum totally free of cost to the normal user - and make it possible for us as users to still trade freely among each others in the classifieds - otherwise i think you will see a lot of people leaving - and that would be a shame

I have faith in you keeping this forum the best - although i will seriously be missing Nathan as the Captain

Excellent post. The whole point of this forum is free information exchange. I don't think any members would be left if you had to pay to share such information. Marty will answer all of your questions. I will be working with him for a long time, and I will be able to enjoy this "hobby" more now.

Riverside Reptiles
09-05-2007, 10:39 AM
IMO, it sure would have been nice if it had, at the very least, been handed over to someone in the gecko community. Having someone that doesn't even own geckos buy the site makes it feel much more like a corporate take over than a step toward improving things.

Bowfinger
09-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Nathan, I am glad to see you will still be around and good luck with your other ventures. Hopefully as you settle in other aspects of your life, geckos will once again be a fun hobby for you.

Marty, I would love to know the name of your other site to review for fun. With your investment, obviously you see enjoyment along with profit here worth investing, so be it, as long as you understand similar hobbies and their people maybe you will understand us, including those who hate change...very understandable.

Marty
09-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Hi Jan,
All valid and understandable concerns. In order for forums to grow they have to be a labour of love. I understand that. I really enjoy running communities. I'm not looking for GU to pay off my mortgage, but I'm hoping it will be paying for itself (dedicated hosting, software licences, etc) and it will be self sustaining in order to facilitate growth. Hopefully the sponsorship banners will take care of that.

This forum will always be free. I'm not planning to charge per post if that's what you mean. I want to implement several things that will help you guys do what you love doing. This isn't some type of a hostile take over with the intention of squeezing a few bucks out of it.

Nathan Hall
09-05-2007, 10:49 AM
IMO, it sure would have been nice if it had, at the very least, been handed over to someone in the gecko community. Having someone that doesn't even own geckos buy the site makes it feel much more like a corporate take over than a step toward improving things.
It was a very modest amount, Ethan, and I didn't necessarily want a gecko person to take over the forums. I don't have time to defend my decision all day. I chose Marty because he has the technical skills and fundamental passion for herps that we all share. He is a dart frog nut. You can believe what you want to believe, but, if you want to know the truth, pick up the phone and call. I've tried to explain it as best as I can here, but that obviously isn't working too well. Ethan, you've put in tons of hard work here. Marty and I talked about this extensively. Again, you guys can criticize my decision all you want, but make sure you understand the facts before implying that I sold out here. When you see the forums thriving and in a much better place six months from now, you will understand my position. I don't know what else to say.

Bowfinger
09-05-2007, 10:49 AM

Some of the best things come out of crossroads, taking two interests and combining their backgrounds for new ideas.

Marty
09-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Looks like I need a basement full of geckos fast :D

Nathan Hall
09-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Marty, just prove that your intentions are to better this community. I know you, so I know that is the truth.

All, you are in very good hands now, and I'm not going anywhere.

Marty
09-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Here's the orchid site:

http://www.orchidboard.com

I also run

www.VivariumTopSites.com and few others that I haven't had the time to get going, one of them www.VivariumForum.com/community

Protean
09-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Marty,

I'll give it a whirl. you do darts, i import mantellas - maybe we can help each other. I've been a member on orchidforums for a few years. like it a lot.

drop me a line maybe we can talk some.

jason@proteanterrarium.com - phone number in the classifieds ads.

jason p

p.s. nathan you suck at telephone tag.

Marty
09-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Marty,
I'll give it a whirl. you do darts, i import mantellas - maybe we can help each other.

Hey, unfortunatelly I'm one of those that doesn't do mantellas :( . I had a bunch of WC aurantiacas that lead to a dissaster. My tanks are also too warm for mantellas. Right now I have leucs, tincs, vents, azureus, auratus and pumilios. Also about 200 tads/froglets on the go. I'm all frogged out at the moment. I have few spare tanks, but I'm trying to reserve those for the offspring and for a few nice geckos.

Afelinus
09-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Well,after a long night of gecko hunting in my room,....damn geckos,I will reply as to what my question was all about .Jan hit it right on the head .I wouldn't mind paying a fee as a multiple poster of classified ads .I have had this discussion with Nathan and felt it was needed,but he declined.I just can't see a fee for membership,as that exchange should not come at a price,BUT definitely charge us who use the classifieds for the true purpose of it's nature.The occasional classifieds poster should be allowed to post freely.Try to set some threshold if possible,like after 3 ads,you pay for every subsequent ad.

You paying for the site only makes you one thing in my eyes...A CONSUMER....not a bad guy.Now what you do from this point on will determine how we all see you.I have no problem with you having an interest in frogs,makes no difference to me.I KEEP ONE SPECIES OF GECKO,doesn't make me less of a geckophile,I just love one species.Oh and Nathan,you explaining yourself to me is like preaching to the choir,as I thought I made it clear about how I thought a long time ago that you should've implemented fees,regardless of how it might be perceived.A bit disappointed that you would feel you have to defend yourself ,like I was being critical.I only would've rather heard it from you,but hey,no one is perfect,and no one can expect perfection.Good luck with what you do here Marty,I too will support you until I see reason not to.Everybody deserves a chance,NO DOUBT.

Nathan Hall
09-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Oh and Nathan,you explaining yourself to me is like preaching to the choir,as I thought I made it clear about how I thought a long time ago that you should've implemented fees,regardless of how it might be perceived
Marcus, it was more of a preemptive post on my part for everyone.

Marty
09-05-2007, 03:30 PM
You paying for the site only makes you one thing in my eyes...A CONSUMER....not a bad guy.

hehe... I tried taking over the site for free and be all humble about it, but Nathan didn't like that idea :D Trust me, I'd much rather not pay for the site and be an unsuspected non-consumer.

No worries, as we move forward and improve the site, we will figure all the things out. I don't have any intention of charging anyone for basic use of the site. Access to gecko related information will always be free and unobstructed....hopefully there will be just much more of it.

For example, one thing that needs improvement badly (and that's not Nathan's fault, but the forum software) is that we're not search engine optimized. Only about 20% of the posts and pages are indexed by the search engines. I'm hoping to bring that up to 80%+ That will make this place much easier to find and be fully used as a resource. A lot of the things that will be happening won't be visible, but will add needed optimization and functionality.

another thing that hurts this place is a lot of spammers that are joining the forum (even though they can't post), they list a link in their profiles. Some of these links get indexed by search engines and since they may lead to blacklisted spam/junk sites that may lower the page rank of this site. When the rank is lower, we're not reaching our objective of being easier to find.

I think once we go through the changes, there will be few unhappy faces when the forum will look and feel different, but remember it will be all for the better in the long run.

Afelinus
09-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Well,I completely understand the business aspect of this whole transaction,and we all need to know and REALIZE that these forums do have operating costs.I have grasped that concept many moons ago.As much as you try to keeep things at an altruistic and esoteric level,there are expenses,and that is a fact.I do feel that it would've been nice to hear it from you Satan...oops I mean Nathan(cheap shot).Hey I understand Nathan,fully,and I hope,like Shane said that you can get back to enjoying things as a hobbyist again .Honestly,you always were a good guy to me,and I still see you as a good guy who had to make a decision for his family and himself.Now send me my damn vitamin powder(LOL)and hope everything works out for you Bro.

Bowfinger
09-05-2007, 06:25 PM
For example, one thing that needs improvement badly (and that's not Nathan's fault, but the forum software) is that we're not search engine optimized. Only about 20% of the posts and pages are indexed by the search engines. I'm hoping to bring that up to 80%+ That will make this place much easier to find and be fully used as a resource. A lot of the things that will be happening won't be visible, but will add needed optimization and functionality.

I actually almost copied this forums idea for some other ventures and this statement/fact you made on not being search engine optimized made me change my mind on this format. It is very obvious a great forum and best for geckos, but still not everyone finds us, this idea already gives you an A+ in my book for new changes.

I am excited Marty, I vouch for you so don't make me a fool or we both get wacked. :shock:

cliff_f
09-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Well I dont like this change idea to much. Does not mean I am against it I just dont like it, but i guess I will just sit back and see where it takes us. I understand paying a little for the classifieds but I dont like that either. But the price shouldnt be to bad since you arn't buying this to get rich.

Protean
09-06-2007, 12:26 AM
marty i was talking about your giant collection of darts and the fact that you probably know many other keepers of darts who know more people who know more people. word of mouth seems to be everything in our community.

although sometimes word of mouth doesn't always help. granted neither do payment plans either, but hey who's counting those anymore.

Jan Grathwohl
09-06-2007, 04:18 AM
Hi Marty

I hope that you will keep the forum totally free of cost to the normal user - and make it possible for us as users to still trade freely among each others in the classifieds - otherwise i think you will see a lot of people leaving - and that would be a shame

I have faith in you keeping this forum the best - although i will seriously be missing Nathan as the Captain

Excellent post. The whole point of this forum is free information exchange. I don't think any members would be left if you had to pay to share such information. Marty will answer all of your questions. I will be working with him for a long time, and I will be able to enjoy this "hobby" more now.

I'm very glad to hear this Nathan :)

Was fearing that you were letting go - keep up the good work :)

dactylus
09-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Hi Marty,
welcome to the forums, been reading all the comments with interest. I look forward to your development of these forums. I've not been on them for long but certainly have enjoyed the knowledge available.
May I also recommend a gecko for you, Leipdodactytlus lugubris (Mourning gecko). I have friends that keep them in with their dart frogs.

...and to you Nathan, thanks for your efforts,...hopefully others will trust your judgment in this.

jaysommers
09-06-2007, 12:10 PM
I don't know what the bid deal is.Running a website like this professionally has nothing to do with keeping geckos.I think this could turn out to be a very beneficial move for the gecko hobby.I think the personal and emotional investment even some mods. have is too blinding and allows for biased logic (even though it may be subconscious), and unfair decision making.Some of your reactions are hard to comprehend.What are you losing by a change in management?If your motives aren't of an alterior nature than there is nothing to lose.Jumping on Nathan is inappropriate as well.Some look at him as a leader,well part of being a good leader is knowing when to pass the torch.Maybe he feels that this is the best thing for the continued success of his creation.I don't know.I can't even imagine the amount of time and money it takes to set up and run a venture like this.The strain on a marriage among other things.Just posting once in a while is a huge sacrifice of time when you have a collection like I have.How quickly your forum friends can turn on you.If you really cared you would support Nathans decision and not be negative.Think about Marty's feelings as well, everyone here should welcome him with open arms.

Try to look at this as a positive direction.Clean slate ,fresh start.Also charging for the classifieds is a fine idea.Even Kingsnake doesn't charge for their forums.Some people have made alot of money here without any investment.

Maybe Marty will have some fresh ideas.Probably clarity of unbiased and fair judgement.I think it will be great.Maybe we can all take this opprtunity to make some positive personal changes in the way we participate on the forum.

WELCOME MARTY!!

Palex134
09-06-2007, 02:32 PM
I agree! Welcome Marty!

Personally,
I do not have a problem with this,but you'll be missed Nathan, so please stop by often. I just do not want these forums to change.
I also do not have a problem paying a fee, as I have made a good amount of $ this season off the forums, and I wouldnt mind giving back to the forums. I would like to see the forum stay solid, and like Nate said, NOT LIKE KINGSNAKE!

Welcome Marty!

jaysommers
09-06-2007, 02:54 PM
another thing just dawned on me.It seems that the majority of complaints about the changes are in regard to it(the forum) being used for profit.It also seems that the biggest complainers are those who profit off the forum now.So is it o.k. to use this site/forum for profit if you are a member but not o.k. if you bust your butt and invest massive amounts of time running/owning it.Where is the threat here?It just seems hypocritical to complain about someone owning this site for profit when you profit and run 50% or more of your business/sales here for no out of pocket cost. :?I have seen almost all of the complainees run multiple adds for sale here, some of you are bona fide importers of wild caught animals and NOT breeders.That means you are using this free site for commercial purposes and commercial profits.

Afelinus
09-06-2007, 03:20 PM
I agree Jay .I import and sell here on a regular basis and can't for the life of me see why people who make money here are so opposed to paying for that service .I have made some monetary contributions in the past without any action from Nathan,and I will do the same with Marty.A 100.00 contribution seems like nothing compared to some of the amount of cash that exchanges hands here.

I wish I could keep some of the collection you guys have,but with what I do,I just feel I needed to relegate myself to one species to keep and breed,because it is not far removed from my mind what it took to keep and maintain 37 species in the past,let alone a 100+(whew).You basically are a curator living at work.I have enough with the importing(in response to a PM that was sent to me,yes one species),and I think Marty deserves our support regardless of our personal feelings.Marty has done nothing but be upfront so far,and that is to be respected.I asked a simple question and he answered it.I did so because I know what some were already thinking,but for some reason don't ask.I think with some of the implementation he plans,maybe we should just sit back and watch,and see.

jaysommers
09-06-2007, 03:37 PM
I agree Jay .I import and sell here on a regular basis and can't for the life of me see why people who make money here are so opposed to paying for that service .I have made some monetary contributions in the past without any action from Nathan,and I will do the same with Marty.A 100.00 contribution seems like nothing compared to some of the amount of cash that exchanges hands here.

I wish I could keep some of the collection you guys have,but with what I do,I just feel I needed to relegate myself to one species to keep and breed,because it is not far removed from my mind what it took to keep and maintain 37 species in the past,let alone a 100+(whew).You basically are a curator living at work.I have enough with the importing(in response to a PM that was sent to me,yes one species),and I think Marty deserves our support regardless of our personal feelings.Marty has done nothing but be upfront so far,and that is to be respected.I asked a simple question and he answered it.I did so because I know what some were already thinking,but for some reason don't ask.I think with some of the implementation he plans,maybe we should just sit back and watch,and see.

Exactly.I think everyone should be excited about the possibilites.There is room in the hobby for everyone.We all play our own part.

(ps. it's alot more than 100+) :wink:

MiCh@3L
09-06-2007, 04:47 PM
I`d like to welcome our new admin, too. So here`s a big virtual hug for you, Marty.

I`d also like to thank Nate for his great work in the last past years! Nathan, if you are coming to Germany again, I`ll hug you in person :lol:

Ok, now it`s time for my 2 cents

Nathan did a quite good job with the geckophiles, the gecko gathering and his plans on the the geckophile journal - I still hope on the first issue! Additionally he has kept a huge number of geckos. I always asked myself where does he get all the power to handle all of this?
Sorry Marty, I guess nobody who loves geckos like Nathan is able to do this job, especially when you got other interest and two other forums running.

That`s why I guess the forums are never be the same ...

Bowfinger
09-06-2007, 08:30 PM
I see changes already for the best. A clean slate as Jay stated (nice post), we should all support the direction the site and new ownership is going as you supported Nathan. Nothing in life comes for free, someone paid for the freeness of the site and that was much of Nathans and other mods time. We are all very professional here so why not let our site progress with the times. Lets show that professional image to the newbies so they stick around, something they can be proud to join and in turn invest their money into your geckos.

Marty
09-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Sorry Marty, I guess nobody who loves geckos like Nathan is able to do this job, especially when you got other interest and two other forums running.

That`s why I guess the forums are never be the same ...

Thanks for the hugs and welcomes and words of support...I'm glad you guys are warming up to the idea of progress and me steering the ship. I'm always open to suggestions ask on OrchidBoard if you want, I'm very easy to get along. When you see me doing something be sure to offer suggestions and ideas of things that you'd like to see and if it will be within possibilities I'll gladly implement it. I don't like running things like a dictator; I much prefer the democratic way ;)

BTW, Nathan didn't die, not sure why you guys will miss him.... You'll see him here getting involved in discussions I'm sure.

There will be big changes from top to bottom, but don't be afraid, idea is to better the forum, and help the community by providing a top notch virtual venue for all of you to play in.

Everyone is concerned that I'm soon going to be featured on the cover of Forbes. That's not the idea. If I recoup the monthly expenses and the investment it will be a big bonus for me. I've been running OrchidBoard.com for a few years now and I'm still adding to it monthly from my own pocket, although it's much better now then before. If I were to sum it up, I'm probably 5 digits in the hole. But who cares, I have fun doing it.

If you want to know how OrchidBoard started, it was really strange. I was on another orchid forum asking for help on some orchids that I inherited from my brother (long story) and the people and mods were really rude and had a strange tendency of ganging up on unsuspecting visitors, esp newbies. After a rude comment, I somehow got into a fight after few stupid remarks @#$@ began to fly. I was then kicked out and told that if I don't like it I should open my own @#$% forum and run it the way I like it. I was fuming! Guess what... OrchidBoard was open the same week. It is now much larger then the other forum and much more respected :P We now get about 100,000 unique visitors per month. So, I've sunken some money into it...who cares ... as Nathan would say it... it's my baby :)

Guess what, I don't have a greenhouse full or orchids (though a ton of OB members does), I'm into frogs and I'm doing just fine running an orchid forum, even though I just have a handful of orchids... and that's just because they look cool in my vivs. I don't think I need a basement full of geckos to build on GU's foundation and make this into a thriving site that's at the center of the gecko community.

Nevertheless, I've always loved geckos. It's by far my favourite lizard (along with chameleons :lol: ) and I'm sure I'll be housing a few in my rack.

lessthantito
09-06-2007, 11:23 PM
aren't you Marty@MistKing? WELCOME I have seen how you keep your dartfrogs maybe you can teach a few people some things about building tanks here cause yours are some of the nicest I have seen

Marty
09-06-2007, 11:40 PM
aren't you Marty@MistKing? WELCOME I have seen how you keep your dartfrogs maybe you can teach a few people some things about building tanks here cause yours are some of the nicest I have seen

Yes, that's me. Same guy, different hat :) Thanks for the compliments. Here's one of my tanks that I'll be ripping apart and completely redoing.

http://www.mistking.com/gallery/diamond.jpg

We will have to build up the vivarium section here :D

MiCh@3L
09-07-2007, 04:12 AM
You are right, Marty. Nathan is still with us 8)

I guess the main problem is that people have their problems with changes :?

Certainly you are a respectable and responsible person, without that you can`t handle 200 tadpoles - I know how much discipline is necessary to be successful in keeping and breeding posion dart frogs.

So, keep up Nathans good work.

Michael

Nathan Hall
09-07-2007, 05:38 AM
I don't know what the bid deal is.Running a website like this professionally has nothing to do with keeping geckos.I think this could turn out to be a very beneficial move for the gecko hobby.I think the personal and emotional investment even some mods. have is too blinding and allows for biased logic (even though it may be subconscious), and unfair decision making.Some of your reactions are hard to comprehend.What are you losing by a change in management?If your motives aren't of an alterior nature than there is nothing to lose.Jumping on Nathan is inappropriate as well.Some look at him as a leader,well part of being a good leader is knowing when to pass the torch.Maybe he feels that this is the best thing for the continued success of his creation.I don't know.I can't even imagine the amount of time and money it takes to set up and run a venture like this.The strain on a marriage among other things.Just posting once in a while is a huge sacrifice of time when you have a collection like I have.How quickly your forum friends can turn on you.If you really cared you would support Nathans decision and not be negative.Think about Marty's feelings as well, everyone here should welcome him with open arms.

Try to look at this as a positive direction.Clean slate ,fresh start.Also charging for the classifieds is a fine idea.Even Kingsnake doesn't charge for their forums.Some people have made alot of money here without any investment.

Maybe Marty will have some fresh ideas.Probably clarity of unbiased and fair judgement.I think it will be great.Maybe we can all take this opprtunity to make some positive personal changes in the way we participate on the forum.

WELCOME MARTY!!

That means a lot, Jay. Thank you so much.

Maybe he feels that this is the best thing for the continued success of his creation
100% correct!!!

All, I understand your concern and appreciate all of the positive comments. I put my heart and soul into the forums and labored over this decision for a long time. Once I got over myself and realized that the forums were entirely too big for me to keep up with in a professional manner, I passed the torch to someone who has everything I was looking for in an admin and new owner. Don't think this was easy at all. I will definitely still be around. At this point in my life, I had to do this and cut back on the collection. Many of you are like family to me. Oh, here I go with all of the emotional stuff. I've put my trust in Marty, and I'm excited to see him take the forums to another level. You guys don't have to like it now, but understand that I would never let anyone bury these forums. I've not seen such a global community anywhere else.

Tom Martensson
09-07-2007, 06:56 AM
Jesus christ, give him a chance to run the forum.
And why would you not pay for a advert? You make money on your geckos you sell, why wouldn´t him make a little money, for give you a chance to let the world know what you have for sale? It´s a lot of work to run a forum, nothing is free this day´s.

Geckoholic
09-08-2007, 11:18 AM
The people that come and exchange information on a forum are what make it unique, not the individual owning it. Nathan has done an incredible job at gathering some truly great gecko breeders from all around the world (which was the hard part). With the core group already established things will only continue to get better. Nathan loves this site and I am sure he will continue to promote it just has he had when he was the owner. We are all grateful to Nathan for creating this site and I respect his decision.

Welcome to the forums Marty!

On a side note, dart frogs are what got me into the reptile/amphibian seen over 12 years ago and I will always have a passion for them. They are truly fascinating creatures and everyone should give them a try at one point or another.

Don't be a stranger Nathan!

Steve

clint545
09-09-2007, 12:36 AM
I'd like to echo what Geckoholic said:) Most times it's the people that make a forum worthwhile, this forum definitely being one of them.
I love this forum for its' diversity and wealth of knowledge and gecko keepers from all corners of the world and hope to continue doing so:)

thrower
09-09-2007, 04:42 AM
Okay...we have a new leader. There's nothing to be done now, so there's no use in whining. Besides, perhaps now we'll get that 10 month photo competition done:)

That having been said, there are a couple things that I think should be said/addressed.

First, time will be the ultimate judge of things, but I'm somewhat comforted by the fact that Marty is a nut about dart frogs. Even though he may not be able to name all the leopard morphs or distinguish the various phelsuma species, he at least has a similar obsession that will provide him with insight into the thinking of a majority of the members of this sight. He may not be the personal wealth of gecko info that Nathan is, but I'd be more worried if his private collection consisted of a single hamster:).

Second, I know it's all just getting started, but we have got to do something about the theme for this board. The old board had a nice feel to it, with lots of gecko pics and comforting color schemes. As someone that only gets to check this board at night, the retina searing white we currently have is just not cutting it. Combine that with the fact that the only indication that site is about geckos is an inch by 2 inch drawing in the top corner, and you have a pretty depressing substitute.

Once again, I understand that this is just a transition, but perhaps if you just put some generic theme pack in that's similar to the old site, it would help things transition a little more smoothly until you get your vision for the site complete. As it stands now, the forum has lost every bit of the charm and unique character that helped make it what it is today.

Tarl

Bowfinger
09-10-2007, 04:04 AM
http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/news-updates/announcements.html

In case you guys missed this.

trayton
09-10-2007, 06:55 AM
woah ,clearly you guys all really enjoyed the previous owner of this site but all this complaining is crazy, its reached a level that you have had to blaspheme.

i don't know if the change has happened yet as i am new but im just here to do what the site was created for,to share info and have a good time...lets just give marty a lil support...im sure he will value all your ideas and input so rather give a hand where you can and just grow this community closer together? just an idea...

Bowfinger
09-10-2007, 12:33 PM
also get your avatars loaded up. i noticed even the old site look similar to this when avatars had to be shut down several months back.

Marty
09-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I see you guys are slowly warming up :) Great !!!

btw, I hope you guys like the new logo... it will still be tweaked a bit, but for the most part it's done.

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/images/misc/vbulletin3_logo_white.gif

btw, no hamsters for me :)

roaches42993
09-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Hey Marty,

You probably dont remeber me but when I was starting WebHerp Reptile and Amphibian Topsites (http://www.webherp.co.nr) I sent you an e-mail to join and you gave me a bunch of pointers on how to run a topsite because you had one . Thanks for all your help . It has since grouwn to include Gecko File :: Top Site List (http://www.geckofile.co.nr) and hopfully soon a snake one that does just what gecko file does but for snakes .

Everyone , I havent talked to Marty in almost a year I believe but he is a really good guy anything he can help with he does help with . Nathan was a great admin but as times have changed so must admins . At least we can welcome them with some respect .

Just my 2 cents

Marty
09-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks Kenny, glad to see you here ! I'll do what I can :)

geckocrazy
09-16-2007, 08:52 PM
As a good friend of Nathans i know how swamped he is and how hard a decision this was for him. I wish him the best in his new venture. With that being said welcome Marty, i'm sure you'll do good things here. I believe you made a good investment here because this is a great forum with great people. Chris Drake