PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Tokay problem

Negator
09-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Hello.
Recently I've bought young(~1yr old) male Tokay. After putting him in my tank(50x50x70cm) and maintaining required temp. and humid. conditions, I noticed, that he refuses to eat crickets.
After two days I become worried and decided to force feed him crickets. Well, now he's not biting me when I'm taking him with bare hands, but still not eatitg from vast plastic can where I put crickets for the night. I'm "force feeding" him for anout a week now(actually, I just take him, and after he'll open his mouth, put cricket there, and he's opening his mouth NOT to bite me).
Do anyone faced similar troubles with newly-bought Tokays or something wrong with mine?
Thank you in advance for any help or solution how to "teach" him to eat by himself.

stingray
09-05-2007, 10:02 AM
I would take him to a qualified reptile vet to be checked out. I would also have a fecal done for he most likely has some form of parasite or protozoan in him.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
09-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Dont "force feed" him all that does is put undo stress on him. When I get new animals in I wait a week or 2 for them to get nice and settled in before offering them any food. They are already stressed from shipping and alot of bugs just adds to the stress level. If hes not getting skinny dont worry about it yet and let him be alone for a week or so. Also whoever you got him from might not of used a cup and just tossed crickets in. Try leting some roam the cage and see if he takes them. .
Blake

Negator
09-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks for replies.
I don't think he got parasites, cuz i got him(captive breed) from local pet store and selles said he ate normally, but they threw crickets in his smaller tank so I guess he caught them by himself.
The problem is that I have no idea how long young Tokays can survive without food so I decided not to take risks.
As for roam, I don't think that will be a good idea, cuz I'm using a lot of tree bark on soil so crickets wil just hide there.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
09-05-2007, 04:13 PM
I feed mine twice a week. Every now and then I let them go a week without food. Some people will not do this and if mine were not in great shape neither would I. But considering they breed like rabbits for me I'll keep on doing what I am and keep popin out eggs. A good healthy animal of any kind can go a week or 2 without food. If it isnt getting skinny I wouldnt really worry yet. Just leave it be for a few days and after 5-7 days toss some bugs in there and see if he eats them.

Blake

cliff_f
09-05-2007, 06:48 PM
I agree with Blake, I wouldnt try feeding him anything for atleast 3-4 day s and then start offering him food. Sometimes it takes up to two weeks for them to get settled in. As long as he looks healthy and isnt loosing weight like crazy I wouldnt worry to much. Now after a couple of weeks or if he jsut starts going down hill fast I would then get him strait to a vet.

Negator
10-15-2007, 02:08 PM
thanks. Now it's approx two months since I bought him and all the time I had to force feed him due to sudden work issues(had to leave for several days and my relatives are afraid of him) ). He's still not eating crickets and I suppose that's cuz he's not used to feeding cup.
So question is - do you know how to "teach" him to hunt in fed.cup?
Also recently I cleaned a terr.glass and noticed that he can't hold on to the glass walls, I suppose that simple water-cleaning can't lead to such results and decided to feed him a little more with additional calcium vitamins as I suspected that he's became weak after four crickets two times a week.
Do any of you faced similar problems?
Thank you for answers.

cliff_f
10-15-2007, 10:19 PM
I just throw my crickets in the cage and they natrualy hunt the crickets down. I would not try to force feed untill he hasnt ate for a few weeks or longer. Try mealworms or yogurt or other stuff like that. Leave the crickets in over night for him to eat. Alot of times they dont like to eat when you are around.

Negator
10-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Just removed all tree bark so crickets won't hide or sneak under. Hope that'll help him to learn to hunt on his own.
But my main concern now is that he can't hold to the glass and can't climb up -_-

cliff_f
10-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Is he getting ready to shed? That could be why he cant hang on.

Negator
10-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Doubt so, he shedded approx a month before.

cliff_f
10-16-2007, 07:29 PM
I think you said you also just cleaned them glass. Sometimes my geckos even have a hard time when the glass is freshley cleaned. Once they start getting a little dirty again they will beable to hang on fine.

Negator
10-16-2007, 11:10 PM
The point is htat I trid to set him on the side that wasn't cleared and still he slide down.

Royal-City-Reptiles
10-18-2007, 10:59 AM
the reason your gecko cant stick to the glass may be in part due to the fact that it isnt eating...i have noticed if agecko with "toe pads" doesnt have enough calcium, they lose the ability to climb smooth surfaces...

-Nate