PDA

View Full Version : Ebenavia inunguis

holdie
09-30-2007, 03:23 AM
I`m searching for care sheets from Ebenavia inunguis

tanala
10-01-2007, 05:55 AM
will be difficult; i dont know any recorded care sheet. Maybe some breeders and keepers of this species here can provide some information. I have only half a year experience with this species; as all my (w.c.) males died immediately after i bought them, my experiences are limited to adult females. Not very difficult to keep, can be kept together; no need for big cages; they prefer small food (young crickets, roaches with soft shells, Thermobia,...). Temperatures in my cage range from 23 to 27C by day and from 19 to 22 by night. I mist every other day. They hide on the underside of plants, under cork bark or on the ground under leaves.

regards
sebastian

Reptiluvr
10-01-2007, 03:51 PM
I have never kept this species but have done lots of research on their natural history. The info provided by Sebastian is very good. They range from fairly dry to quite humid areas so humidity may or may not play an important role. I would personally keep these something similar to Rhacodactylus on a smaller scale. I think local humidity is important in the wild judging by their known hiding locations (rotting leaf litter/logs and Pandanus palms).

tanala
10-02-2007, 03:59 AM
imports mostly seem to come from higher elevation on the eastern side of Madagascar, so humidity and cool night temperatures might be relevant. Some breeders may tell about their experiences (Josse, Nathan). I have been to Madagascar from august to september in the northeastern region. This time i found so many Ebenavia - on the house, in the toilet, in bushes in open areas and in the forest. I'd estimate at least 30 specimens in 4 weeks (from juveniles to gravid females)...house gecko!

Reptiluvr
10-02-2007, 08:34 AM
tanala: were they shy geckos? You say house gecko which makes me think Hemidactylus which automatically makes me think of very shy geckos. If you saw so many I would think they must have been at least fairly comfortable around people.

tanala
10-02-2007, 09:57 AM
they are not very shy and can be catched easily - no comparison to other house geckos. Where i found many specimens, i found also many small insects (roaches, crickets), so i think there's the correlation between the presence of small food and the geckos. I found many geckos next to the houses, but only a handful of animals in the forest.

holdie
10-06-2007, 04:27 AM
How largely should a Terrarium for 2.2 animals be?

josse
10-06-2007, 03:54 PM
I just noticed this thread so sorry for the late reply. I keep 1.3 at the moment in a cage of 45x30x30 cm. I first had 2 extra males but they both died. It seems that keeping the males alive is little bit harder than the females. I feed mine crickets, silverfish and fruitflies. I'm still not 100% positive if they also like fruits but I suspect they don't. The cage is decorated with live plants where they can hide in, corkbark on the ground where they can hide under and some small corkbark tubes where they can hide in. I keep them at 25-28 degrees celcius during daytime with a cooling to roomtemperature at night. I don't really keep them that humid, just spray them every other day or so. I had some babies this year but all died at a fairly young age, hope to have some more succes with them next year!

Jesse

holdie
10-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks for all answer.

@Josse

Could you place pictures from your Terrarium in the forum? What did you pay for your group of Ebenavia inunguis?

Reptiluvr
10-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Gotta say that Jesse's setup sounds pretty ideal. This is how I would keep them if I can ever get ahold of them in the states.
Jesse: can you also provide pics of these silverfish? This term is used for a household pest in parts of the U.S. but I'm not sure what they actually look like.

rhaco
10-07-2007, 12:40 AM
all my (w.c.) males died immediately after i bought them

I first had 2 extra males but they both died. It seems that keeping the males alive is little bit harder than the females.

I had 1.1 but my male died as well. It really seems like it is a problem to keep the males alive.
Any suggestions why?
Where your males smaller than your females?
Because my female was quite big compared to my male.

Regards,
Johannes

tanala
10-07-2007, 04:20 AM
maybe the males that are coming in are too old?
i didn't know that other keepers had the same problem with males...
Jesse any idea why your c.b.'s died? Did they eat?

sebastian

holdie
10-07-2007, 07:17 AM
@reptiluvr

http://www.kortenbruck.de/images/viecher/silberfisch.jpg

josse
10-07-2007, 07:46 AM
I can't really think about a cause of the males dying so fast. When I got them they already were a little more skinny than the females. You also notice the larger male death-ratio with H. africanus. Keeping the females alive isn't that hard, though the males are a different story (in my and others experience).
I buy the silverfish in Hamm most of the time. There are a few species and a few of them are indeed a pest. They seem to like them so I just feed those so now and then.
Here is a picture of the cage I keep them in. I changed the setup a little but the idea is clear.

Jesse
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/7687/ebenavia6mediumzv8.jpg