PDA

View Full Version : Breeding tokay geckos

Kevin McRae
10-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Hi, I was wondering what, if anything, you guys do to breed Tokay geckos.

I recently got a few more tokays (2.1, 1.1 in one enclosure) in a 18x18x24 exo terra. Snake plant gets added this week. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Kevin_McRae/Assorted%20Geckos/tokayenclosure.jpg

Is it just a matter of heavily feeding the geckos?

Thanks.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
10-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Once they are ready to breed they will. I do nothing special for mine. I got my pair in the 24x18x24 exo, got some plants and wood. Definitely get some cork bark, be it the cork tubes or flats. My girl lays on a piece that is leaned up against a piece of PVC pipe I have in there for them to hide in. I feed mine 20 or so crickets 2-3 times a week. If you feed them to much they will just be fat and lazy and dont seem to want to breed. I also keep a dish of calcium in there, my female actually comes and eats out of it when she wants calcium. Got any questions ask. I know for sure me and Cliff breed them and I'm sure there are some others around on this forum somewhere.

cliff_f
10-15-2007, 10:16 PM
I breed mine in the 18x18x24 exos and they do really well in there.

Kevin McRae
11-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Hey guys. Mine have started calling quite a few times during the night. I'm curious if anyone can guess why he is calling. I only have 1.1 in the room, is he calling to attract the female? Territorial? Or being plain loud? lol

If he is calling can I expect he is the breeding mood?

I'm new to the vocalization of breeding tokay geckos so any help would be super.

Thanks! :)

cliff_f
11-04-2007, 04:32 PM
He is calling to attract the female, you should have some eggs coming before long!

Kevin McRae
11-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Sweet, you wouldn't believe how long I've wanted to get some tokays breeding.

Hopefully everything goes well. ;)

He must have woke me up 4 times last night, haha, as long as he gets the job done I'm happy. ;) :p

cliff_f
11-04-2007, 04:38 PM
I love their calls. They are so lound but they are still nice to listen to. Thats why I tell people that just want one as a pet, to get a male because of their calls.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
11-05-2007, 01:28 AM
Whenever I hear my male calling about 20-30 days later I find eggs. So as long as your female is acceptive and ready you should find some soon. Keep us updated.

Ingo
11-05-2007, 03:07 AM
My tokays typically only lay eggs between late march and early october.
Also they hardly call between september and january. In this time I only hear calls after hatching of new babies and upon redecoration of the tank.

I guess, you already know my 2007 tokay yield:

http://www.sonyuserforum.de/galerie/data/media/819/Babies.JPG

BlakeDeffenbaugh
11-05-2007, 04:28 AM
So far this year I have 9 babys and 6 more eggs incubating. I have heard them calling again so I'll be expecting some more eggs real soon. And thats all from just one female. Mine breed all year round without a problem. Its a good and a bad thing though. . . good because I must be doing something right, bad because you cant hardly sell the babys. You think people would be jumpin to buy CB baby tokays. . .

Ingo
11-05-2007, 04:53 AM
Hi,

since a few years they go quite well hier in Germany.
Anyhow, I do normally not raise more than 10-12 per year, because to sell more is not always straightforward.. For the rest, I pinch fresh eggs or for the large tank, just leave the babies in, what means that most of them will be eaten by the basilisks

BlakeDeffenbaugh
11-05-2007, 05:09 AM
So you let the babys be eaten by a basilisk? That just dont sound right. . . why breed them if your just going to let them be eaten.

Ingo
11-05-2007, 05:38 AM
Thats a 1200g community tank, where tokays help keeping the population of roaches and crickets low, which otherwise overflood the tank and damage the plants, especially the roots. I keep tokays together with basilisks since 1992. That works out very well and the tokays do benefit visibly from the large space, but of course the basilisk do prey on baby tokays. Especially when those have grown a bit and tend to leave the direct vicinity of the parents (interestingly, the tokays on the other side, try fishing, but I have never seen one really catching a fish).
Without help, not more than 1-3 tokays per year outgrow the basilisk prey size in that tank. Still enough.
As you said, tokays are too prolific to keep all the babies. So I stick with the babies from my single species tokay tank and do only catch some of the more brilliantly looking specimens, especially the hypomelanistics from the large community tank (you need to apply some tricks to get them, but once you know....).
Since basilisks do also prey on lizards in the wild, an occasional tokays snack is a meaningful thrill and add on to their diet.

best regards

Ingo

Kevin McRae
11-05-2007, 09:59 AM
In Canada their seems to be a demand for CB tokays, the stores hardly carry WC's anymore.

A few weeks ago I added some hollow corkbark so hopefully they feel comfortable with atleast one lay spot, but I won't count my chickens before they even lay eggs. :p

reptirus
11-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Sounds like a pretty awesome setup you have there Ingo, do you have any pictures to share?

ciliatus
11-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Sounds like a pretty awesome setup you have there Ingo, do you have any pictures to share?

You can see a pic of his setup in this thread. http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/161909-post16.html

regards

Ingo

Kevin McRae
11-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Just thought I'd do a little update so far.

The male has since slowed down on calling, haven't heard him for the past few days actually. Since a few days ago the female moved into the bamboo piece with the male and they have been in their for a few days. I witnessed the male biting at the females tail and continue to crawl up on her while they were both vibrating their tails.

So I guess we will see if I have a present in a month or so. ;)

BlakeDeffenbaugh
11-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Sounds like you will have some little demon gifts soon. I had 2 hatch out over the past weekend. . Saturday night I think. They are just like the parents but they dont hurt lol. Good luck with them.

mittens978
01-17-2012, 08:01 PM
I don't know if anyone ever looks at this forum anymore, but i was wondering, what do you feed tokays? besides crickets, can they be feed smaller dubia roaches? and they are nocturnal right? so they don't need uva/uvb lighting? also, would they be okay in a 20 gallon long tank? I'm thinking about getting rid of my leopard geckos and getting a pair of tokays that they have at a local pet store.
Thank you for the help in advance!

thehotchik1000
01-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Mittens staring your own thread would be helpful. As a quick answer though. Crickets and dubias work great. I only feed my toks on those two prey items. The second answer in regards to your tank is no. They would not fair well in a 20 gallon long. Leo's are terrestrial while toks are arboreal. A 20 gallon would not provide the necessary height.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com