PDA

View Full Version : P. masobe babies behaviour

Sourri
11-08-2007, 07:33 AM
Hi,

my first two P. masobe babies are about 3 month old now and they are doing very well until now. Something I recognized the last few days is that they are sometimes walking around or hanging and sleeping on the wall without any shelter even during the day. They didn't do that during the past 3 month so I was wondering if they feel uncomfortable but I didn't change anything in their cages. As my adult P. masobe hate light and never show up during the day I was quite surprised/worried about this behaviour.
Now my second clutch hatched at the end of october and I also see them quite often in the morning when light is already on or when it is still on in the evening.
Should I be worried or could it be that CB animals in general do not avoid light so much like WC?? What is your experience?

Regards
Siri

mat.si
11-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Hi!
That is indeed a very strange behavior for masobe. :shock:
Although captive bred animals aren't so nervous, they are still rather shy and would retreat into shelter or among the branches, if I spend a longer time checking their terrarium at night, feeding and cleaning them.
I've never seen any of my CB babies or adults outside during the day.
They always come out of hiding only when it's completely dark.
When I feed and clean geckos at night I have a small light on.
The masobe usually go into hiding, if I don't cover the front of their terrariums with big cardboards.
Are you sure there's nothing wrong with their hiding places?

I don't really have any idea, why this is happening. It's really strange that these otherwise secretive geckos would be outside in plain sight during the day.

Regards, Matjaz

Sourri
11-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Hi Matjaz,

thank you for your post!
I have several cork bark hiding places, one cork tube so that they can also sit on dry ground and one flower pot on moss is also there.
As I already mentioned I did not change setup they had this since they were born. Maybe I SHOULD change something :? Perhaps they don't like it anymore...
They eat and look normal.

Here's one pic:

http://eddus.net/Sourri's%20Tiere/setup.jpg

Anyway I will keep you informed about this :)

Regards
Siri

mat.si
11-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi!
My masobe always use black plastic shelters with some cork over the entrance, so they are always in the dark, feeling secure.
If the peat substrate gets to wet, I simply change at least the part under the hiding places.

The one thing I noticed in your photo is that the flower pot has holes on the top. That means that the light comes through and the animals might not like it, because it's too light. Try something darker with only one hole on the side.

It's strange that they hang outside during the day, but as long as they eat and otherwise behave normally, they should be OK, I guess.

Regards, Matjaz

Sourri
11-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Hi,

ok I will make darker hiding places for them. And maybe more dry substrate, too.

Thanks for your help!! :)

Siri

aquapimp
11-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Interesting thread. I have several Nephrurus babies that seem to be "semi-diurnal" too.

As long as they are eating and growing well......:?

Keep us updated!