PDA

View Full Version : P.androyensis care tips

kimo
11-19-2007, 05:19 AM
I am curious to hear some experience tips from someone who bred them or have been keeping them for longer time.

I had 2 very young ones and one bigger, about 4cm and all died. All of them had their own enclosure(box) with coconut substrate, small water dish, 30% substrate moist, some plastic leaves to hide under and was kept at warmer part at about 28-30 degrees Celsius. They all ate verz well and suddenly I found one by one dead. Two babies died in about 1.5 months and bigger one lived for 4 months and ate also well, shed few times without problems and bang, died, out of nowhere...

Hope to get some tips and some thoughts about this case...thanks!

Royal-City-Reptiles
12-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Bump?

heiser
12-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Not sure what I can offer but, wild caughts on these are well known for sudden death (presumably from parasites). When getting wc keep them on paper towel and clean often (whenever fecal matter is seen) for three months. These also need a bit more humidity than picta, which most are used to, but sounds like you had the conditions pretty good. The captive bred specimens I've seen are fairly hardy little buggers.

Regards,
John

aquapimp
12-04-2007, 03:44 PM
I can concur with Heiser, that they've always seemed quite bullet proof. I'd have to guess dehydration, despite the water dish, were you misting often as well?

kimo
12-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Ahh, I am sure I have everything as I was told here...but suddenly they die...they were all CB for sure. I was very sad and depressed,cose I was giving them everything. I am just thinking about temps, maybe something there? Anyone with breeding success can tell us more?

Reptiluvr
12-05-2007, 02:06 AM
I bred them one year and hatched out about a dozen from different pairings. I kept them on soil/coco fibre and sometimes on paper towel. They were kept at roughly the same temperatures as you. I misted every other day which was maintained around 65-70% if I remember correctly. They were quite hardy in my short (1 year) experience.

kimo
12-05-2007, 05:47 AM
Ok, thanks...I will try again with them, they are great little geckos...

the_e_train
01-17-2008, 12:47 AM
I think maybe your temps were a little bit on the high side. I have only been keeping androyensis for a short time but the person I got my group from has been breeding them since the mid 80's. She tells me that anything above 29 degrees celcius could be fatal. Also with young animals dehydration can be a problem.