PDA

View Full Version : Humidifier setups and recommendations?

fenrisswolf
12-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi.

I'm looking into moving up from manually misting my cages to a more "automated" setup using a humidifier. That, and a majority of the species I'm interested in picking up in the future would require a much higher humidity level, on average, than I can maintain without making some changes.

Now, I could pick up some of those humidifiers made for individual terrariums, but since I'd be doing this for at least a couple of terrariums (of multiple sizes) right now, and possibly (at least) four or five more in the future, a larger, more scalable and cost-effective solution would be nice.

So I'm open for suggestions for an "expandable" solution that will work for a couple of cages now, but could be easily converted to suit future needs. Humidifying the whole gecko room is an option too, I suppose. :)

What has worked well for others in the past, and what kind of things should I look for when developing my own solution? Low ambient humidity is one of the main issues keeping me from comfortably maintaining tropical species. I could keep them as is now, but why stress my animals like that when I can spend a little time and effort beforehand and have much happier, healthier, and longer lived animals?

jpstodwftexas
12-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Another way of adding Humidity is with a Humidifier & Air Exchanger.
Very Simple To Make One yourself.

I used One I purchased but if your handy like most people you could make one easily. The Brand Is this One
Tropic-Aire Terrarium Humidifier and Air Exchanger Backyard Products (http://www.backyardstyle.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-18202)

Description:
Tropic-Aire Terrarium Humidifier and Air Exchanger
Designed to create a healthier environment for reptiles and amphibians from tropical and subtropical regions. This unique device constantly supplies your terrarium with fresh, humid air. Eliminates the need for hand spraying, except when needed for dew licking animals. We have successfully used a similar device for several years with our hermit crabs. For use with up to a 55 gallon tank. Unit sits external to the terrarium, so it can be easily hidden from view. Only the thin output tube sits inside the tank. To use, you simply fill the humidifier tank with water to the fill line. The sponge inside the tank will become moist and saturate the air above the water. This fresh, humid air is then pumped off into your terrarium. (Click on the image on the right to see a larger view.)

Uses a standard aquarium air pump, which must be purchased separately. When choosing an air pump, choose a model that produces enough air for an aquarium that is the same size as your terrarium so that the air in the terrarium is exchanged once every hour. . (In other words, choose a bigger pump for bigger tanks.) Each unit stands approximately 12" tall with a 4" x 4" footprint. Includes the humidifier tank and cover, (2) suction cups, output nozzle with 4 air outlets, humidifying sponge, air diffuser, and air supply tube.

Note: For this unit to work properly, your cage must have a glass or plastic top to retain moisture. Screen tops will allow all of the moisture to escape out to the surrounding room and may not allow the humidity level of the tank to rise.

I plan on making one from a Five gallon Bucket and maybe 3/16 or 1/4 Tubing.

fenrisswolf
12-03-2007, 11:09 PM
I can see this type of thing being fairly easy to attempt to replicate at home, and it would certainly be both somewhat scalable and an interesting little project in and of itself.

I'll have to see if I want to give something like this a try on some of my cages and see what results I get.

jpstodwftexas
12-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Personally I never saw the Purpose of the Sponge filter.
I actually Left mine out a few Times.
:scratchhead:

I homebrew so I can get the 5 gallon buckets with lids locally.
Even with multiple tanks you shouldn't have to add water that often.

I ran mine with a Profile 1500 air pump 24/7. Mine only had 1 air inlet and 1 air outlet. I just used a "t" to slpit it into different tanks.

shadow.0000
02-24-2009, 04:13 AM
The humidifier is what maintains the humidity in your humidor. ... The humidifier in your humidor should be topped up with humidification solution,