PDA

View Full Version : Gekko Grossmani C.I.T.E.S.

djnos321
12-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi everybody. As some of you knows I have a Gekko Grossmani (or Grossmanni).
(I post this message here 'cause I believe that it is an Australian Gecko)

I'm thinking about traveling with him but it appears like it is an "in danger spicies". My stupid french custom otorities (yes I'm french living in canada) ask me the C.I.T.E.S. number for him if I want to bring it in France. But I really can't find it.
Does anybody able to help me with that?

Do I also have to make a veterinary visit before travelling?

It can be verry strange but where I'm going there is no food for him (cricket meal worms....) so first question do I need a permit to import them? And if not possible can I feed him with natural food (like fishing worms...)

Thanks
Have a nice day

And please excuse my english...

geckoboy
12-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Commonly known as a the Marbled Gecko. They are not a CITES protected gecko and their native range spans Southern Vietnam, not Australia.
Aside from a fairly expensive ride over, I don't see why it would be such a hassle to get him to France. There are gecko keepers in France, quite a few frequent the forums. They obviously get feeders for their animals from somewhere...try getting in touch with some of them near where you'll be living.
I would assume the laws about keeping reptiles would vary from region to region much as they do here in North America. I know nothing about the laws in France but again, some French keepers may be help you out determining if you will need any paperwork or permits to keep your gecko. I can't see it being a huge problem since your gecko is not a protected species.

djnos321
12-03-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm living in Saint Pierre and Miquelon. It's a small french island under Newfoundland. We are juste 6,000 people in here. And there is only one pet shop (that only sell tropical fish and dog/cat food) that's the reason why I can't get any food for reptiles . I'll be the only one on the island to get one so... I ask again my question: Is it possible to feed him fish worms and insects from the nature? ( I'm not sure I'll have the right to introduce crickets and meal worms here)

And do you think I have to go to the Veterinary before mooving him?

Thanks a lot for all your help, I learn a little bit more about my gecko each day from this site. THANKS A LOT!!!

I'll try to find some french geckoes keeper to know if they can help me with all the custom's paper.

Have a good night

twitch_doberman
12-04-2007, 02:45 AM
you should be able to find a site where you can order food for him

'stoph
12-04-2007, 03:25 AM
during summer you can use wild caught insects. But only when you're sure they don't use insecticide in the area.
During winter you can breed your own crickets/mealworms/roaches. If they escape they won't survive the outside cold.
For example blaptica dubia is a tropical roach and will die slowly when temp. drops below 20°c or 70°F