PDA

View Full Version : Tokay Diets...

Biotechman
12-07-2007, 10:01 AM
What does everyone here feed their tokays?
Specifically, has anyone tried feeding hornworms? I see they are a 'food of choice' for many herps, but I don't wanna waste $ for something he won't eat...:roll:

cliff_f
12-07-2007, 07:12 PM
I feed my tokays primairly crickets dusted in Repcal calcium and herptavites. Some of them will eat a little yogurt and CGD but I also feed crickets when I feed that. That other stuff is just a treat. I have fed them meal worms, superworms, waxworms, pinky mice here and there. I am sure they would eat hornworms I just never have tried them. I would not use them as a primary diet though. Tokays will eat just about anything.

nuggular
12-13-2007, 03:52 PM
I have fed mine giant horned worms, and he just loved them.

Biotechman
12-13-2007, 05:24 PM
I have fed mine giant horned worms, and he just loved them.

That's good to know. I'll use em as a 'treat' as the cost is $$$$$$$$$$!!:roll:

BlakeDeffenbaugh
12-13-2007, 08:03 PM
I feed mine dusted crickets and pinkies. I have fed and they will eat without hesitation: wax worms, super worms, meal worms, roaches, phoenix worms, silk worms, hell I've even watched mine eat ants off the side of their cage once. .it was funny as hell.

Biotechman
12-14-2007, 12:24 AM
At what point does the variety come in? Mine only likes the crickets at this time. I tried cup feeding mealworms, but they remain....

BlakeDeffenbaugh
12-14-2007, 01:45 AM
It depends on lots of things. Some younger animals of mine arent to open to new foods. Sometimes you'll run across kinda picky adults. When cup feeding the animals sometimes have a hard time finding the food. Once they do though they will always look there. I was feeding mine silk worms in a bowl and I left them in there for about 3 days and they finally found them. From then on I would see them hangin around the bowl at night lookin in it waiting for food to magically appear. How long have you had them and how old are they would you say?

Biotechman
12-14-2007, 08:52 AM
I've had him about two weeks. I believe he's @ 4 months old? Also, is he too young to try superworms???

Biotechman
12-14-2007, 03:16 PM
*bump*

BlakeDeffenbaugh
12-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Um not huge on super worm or meal worms. I have used them but very little. I would use small meal worms or super worms. But I feed all my babys a diet of nothin but crickets and have had no ill effect.

Dragonflames81
01-05-2008, 10:12 PM
I tried to feed my girl that I got from Cliff a horn worm and she wanted nothing to do with it. She bit it once and its like she did not like the feel of it so she threw it across the cage and didn't touch it again.

'stoph
01-06-2008, 04:59 AM
Mainly crickets and sometimes waxworms,blaptica dubia, pinky mouse.
(1x or 2x a week I dust with supplements)

If the roaches are to big to their standards they would slam them in 1/2 and eat the best part. :coverlaugh:

Biotechman
01-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks guys!
I'll use em for my frogs.

Dragonflames81
01-06-2008, 11:14 AM
now when you guys are feeding pinky mice are you feeding live or dead? Cause my girl will only take them if they are alive. I tried dead ones before and she would not even touch them even when I tried to hand feed her.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
01-06-2008, 11:22 AM
I feed only live to mine. I think some people get them to eat dead but I havnt tried it.

'stoph
01-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Yep I hand fed mine dead ones. You have to wiggle the pinky in front of their nose for some time when they are in their hiding place. Normally it takes a few minutes or a few seconds depends on the Tokay assertiveness.
You can use tweezers if you want but i find it more of a thrill trying with your hands.

"I think after a while they get so irritated of the wiggling object they take a bite,find out it's food and swallow it."