PDA

View Full Version : Lighting...

Biotechman
12-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Being nocturnal, is there a way to view tokay behavior at night? Will a 'blacklight' work? Thanks for any responses.

'stoph
12-18-2007, 04:42 PM
black light can be very intense when it hits bright/white surfaces.
So it's probable a bright blue/grey tokay will light up like a xmas tree.
Don't know if they will aprreciate the spectrum coming out a BL.
Maybe there's someone with a setup with a BL

Just a low wattage blue bulb will do fine or a couple of leds behind a blue filter could do the trick as well (low energy cost)

Biotechman
12-18-2007, 06:13 PM
I read somewhere that they can't see 'red' light? So, I bought a 25w bulb. I hope that will work...
Thanks for the information!:)

jabberwock486
12-18-2007, 06:47 PM
i use 2 black lights with my tank. these are bulbs and are there to add heat on top of light.

i can tell you they noticed the red light. they tended to avoid that spot. they don't mind or notice the black lights. i made the switch and they are happy. it provides plenty of light but not much. however this tank is in my room and i don't want ti to be bright.

i don't know about the flourecent black lights. i have heard they are too bright. LED lighting would be a good option. however LED lighting is almost always a customer rig.

cliff_f
12-19-2007, 12:21 AM
Low wattage red light or black light bulbs have always worked good for me.

Peter B
12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
when the tank is not too small a 7,5W clear frigerator bulb or a 1w white fluorescent tube from a childrens bedroom night-light works very well. The moon doesn't give red or blue light:roll:

'stoph
12-19-2007, 04:38 PM
white light contains also blue and red light - that why we can see color.
A blue or red bulb just sends out a fraction of that visible spectrum.

Peter B
12-20-2007, 03:59 PM
correction: the moonlight doesn't look red or blue. Better?

'stoph
12-21-2007, 07:58 AM
yes for us no for animals in general.
You can test this theory by wearing red colored glasses in a bright environment for a couple of hours, then put off the glasses and everything will look a bit different.
Not all animals have the same receptors in their eyes.
For nocturnal animals the distinction between colors isn't useful ,light intensity/brightness is more handy in the dark,that's why it's more likely they will have receptors that don't vary much color related but that vary more in sensitivity to detect variations in brightness.
For more info contact your local Ophthalmologist or talk to colorblind people.
This is the last i will say 'bout this were getting to much of topic here.