PDA

View Full Version : How do I convert a tank?

matt s
12-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Ok I have a 90 gallon aquarium I wanna take it down for my tokay which is small but Im lookin towards the future here. its 48"L 18"W 24"H, I wanna make it 24"L 18"W 48"T. How do I make a door so its escape proof? How do I heat the cage If the top is glass?

jpstodwftexas
12-19-2007, 01:03 PM
You build an insert to fit in the exsisting top area.

You can do it with aluminum Framing, Glass, or Acrylic.
First you need to decide your soil depth if any. If soil is gonna be used then you will need to waterproof the lower portion with silicone.

Many people have done Horizontal to verticle conversions. A Good place to look is

http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/index.php

Look both in the Parts and construction and in the frog and vivarium for idea.

You can heat with Ambient air, Heat pads placed on one side of the tank. Use what ever your using now. A Horizontal tank if no different from a verticle tank except deminsional orientation

matt s
12-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Well Im using a heat lamp on a screen top my question was how do I use a heat lamp through glass? Wouldnt a uth on the glass get way to hot and burn there feet?

BlakeDeffenbaugh
12-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Dont use plexiglass or acrylic. They both warp. I used them before to keep humidity up with day geckos and the heat and humidity warped them in less than a week and I had a few animals get out because of it.

I have a 75gal tank turned on end. I used window screen building kits to make the door. Then I have the heat light held above the top glass so its not sitting right on the glass and getting it really really hot. If you can keep it 3-4 inches away it will still get warm in there for them but shouldnt be enough to burn them. If you cant figure anything else out, you can get get a glass cuter and cut some of the top glass out, silicone in some screen and put the light on the screen.

matt s
12-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Do you think a 50 watt zoo med with 5.5" clamp lamp would be enough to heat the 90 gallon? because I have spots in the 20 gallon that are only 77 or so.

matt s
12-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Also If I made a custom glass door is it possible to drive a screw threw glass without it shattering everywhere. I know tempered will shatter if drilled but I wasnt sure on normal glass.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
12-19-2007, 04:43 PM
You can buy actual glass drill bits but even then you need to be very very VERY slow and gentle with it. I silicone on my doors though and I know other people that make their own cages and they use only silicone even on the doors. . not sure how it works but it seems to. As for the light no you would have to bump it up. I think I have 100w on my adult tanks. What are you wanting to put in there and how soon?

matt s
12-19-2007, 05:13 PM
I was gonna put the tokay in it that you sold me after he gets older. Im think 6+ months down the road here but it would be nice to have it ready for him to move in.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
12-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Ok I was going to say if it was him let him grow for a while. . . Once hes an adult you could put like him and a few girls in there.