PDA

View Full Version : ? about slate

GeeEssFore
12-23-2007, 04:00 PM
I recently switched to slate tile because of hearing all the +'s about it. My ? is will the UTH still heat this like before or is it just absorbing the heat lamp?

RampantReptiles
02-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Eh... best way to determine if it is getting warm enough is to put a thermometer right on the warm spot.

direscape
02-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Where do you guys buy slate? What kind?

Riverside Reptiles
02-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Where do you guys buy slate? What kind?

I use slate flooring tiles from Home Depot. You can often find large (12"x12") slate tiles on sale for cheap there (under $2/tile). You can then take a hammer and (gently) break it into pieces that are appropriately sized and shaped the way you want them. Not only does it look good in a naturalistic viv, and absorbs heat well, it gives the animals something with edges to rub against when they shed. I think pretty much every gecko enclosure I have has at least a small piece of slate in it. I also use it to build hide boxes with and whatnot.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
02-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Ethan,
Can you post some pics? I'm interested to see what you guys are talkin about. I have some desert animals that I might put this in with I just want to see what your doin with it. I used cement stepping stones . . some of the 12x6 I dropped on the grown to break them up and stacked them up. . my S. petrii seems to like to climb up on them after the lights go out.

direscape
02-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Also, I have a head light and an under the tank heater, and it gets good temps with newspaper. With the slate, would I only need one, or could I still use two (I like both because the light makes everything look nice, but the heater is better for digestion)?

Riverside Reptiles
02-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Blake, I'll be happy to post some pics. Might take me a day or two though.

Dire, how much heat and where you need it depends on other factors like, ambient air temp, how large the enclosure is, etc. I don't use any light on my leos (other than the natural light that's in the room during the day). Since they're nocturnal, they don't really need it. But, it's a personal preference. If you find that it's getting too hot with the spotlight, you may want to replace it with a fluorescent light. They put off a lot less heat than an incandescent.

direscape
02-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Nope, it's getting a nice high of 90, so I'm not worried. I just like having her lit up (because she usually basks under the spotlight).