PDA

View Full Version : New baby tokay vivarium & pics!

ninetynine
12-24-2007, 01:50 PM
For the past month or so my girlfriend and I have been building a tropical vivarium to raise a young tokay gecko in. In a year or two we'll be moving and after that I'll be making a larger and much nicer vivarium for him as he gets bigger. He came in the mail last Tuesday so I'd figure it's time for show and tell. :)

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/gallery/data/500/tokay2.jpg

For now he's in a half hex shaped fish aquarium that looks to be around 25-30gal. The waterfall/fogger comes on twice a day for 10min, and a CPU fan I wired to a timer comes on 7 times a day for 5 minutes each for ventilation. This has been keeping the humidity at 75-82. Behind the terrarium I used some heating cable with a sheet of foam insulation behind to keep the warmth in. Thermostat to keep it at the right temps.

We tried to cover most of the substrate with either slate, river stones, or live jungle moss to try and avoid him eating some dirt by accident. A couple hollow cork logs are siliconed to the upper left which he's been readily using during the day to hide above or inside. All of the plants currently inside are rather small, with some doing much better than others. Though I guess it might be a bit of trial and error with tropical plant mortality. I think sometime in the future I'll add a couple larger branches across the top, and maybe a larger leafy plant if I can find a good one.

One thing I was wondering was if tokay gecko's are more sensitive to either dark red, or dark blue light? I want to put in a dim LED light for some nighttime viewing but when I watch him with my red LED headlamp he seems to notice and avoid the light... I'm wondering if dark blue/purple would be better? Anyone have experience with this?

Any ideas or suggestions for a tokay vivarium are most welcome as this is my first attempt at such a enclosure. Plus I plan on making a larger and nicer home for him in a year or two.

the little guy caught in the act...
http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/gallery/data/500/tokay1.jpg

thanks for looking!
:banana:

DDReptiles
12-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Awesome Tank, good luck with your tokay :D

BlakeDeffenbaugh
12-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Phothos or pothos or however you spell it is a good leafy plant. He looks like hes doin great for you. As for the lights I'm not really sure about the LED's. If it is bright enough they will see it so I guess if its really dim just enough to see him moving it might not be a problem. Anyway good luck with him he looks like he gotta good home.

Blake

twitch_doberman
12-25-2007, 01:04 AM
wow i am in awe of your vivarium. i want to do something like this eventually for my two geckos. i see you have some "air plants" i have about 3 in my terrarium. :P they're awesome.

cliff_f
12-25-2007, 01:04 AM
Very nice setup! How big is the tank?

jabberwock486
12-25-2007, 01:29 AM
the only thing i would suggest is an external fogger over the waterfall. i had/have one of those things and it became a chore to clean. plus the geckos became aggressive towards it for some reason and would constantly knock it over. i think they wanted the spot for a nest and didn't like it. plus the thing got dirty easy. the fogger i now use cost $20 and has a number of controls built in( mist strength/thickness and timer). a section of PVC pipe pumps it into the top. it hold 2 gallons of water and is easy to clean. you can't see it as the PVC runs behind the tank. the unit is stored behind the tank as well and is easy to get to.

however i would do that when you build the new tank. mine are housed in a 75 gallon tank.( not sure measured it is 48" L 24" deep and 32 " tall, bought it used as a 75 gallon a while back) as far as dirt eating i would not worry. mine never hunt on the ground. its rare to even see mine touch the soil.

pothos are great plants, but if the geckos climb on them they will be destroyed by adult tokays. mine don't climb on them. i also have a palm that the geckos love to climb in. ficus would do well.

i also have a plant called "snake tree" i have no idea what it is but its perfect. has thick wide strong leaves and stems. grows tall but very slow and easy to trim. non-toxic (well at least from the stand point of useing it as a perch/hide and a toilet, don't know about eating it) i have tried to find out what this is. i bought it for $3 at home depot in the spring.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
12-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Is it "snake tree" or snake plant. I have some plants here that are a single leaf that gets really tall that works for them. As well as umbrella tree and mother in laws tongue.

tstratton
08-08-2009, 04:21 PM
that piece of wood you used is incredible, where did you find it, i've been looking all over for something similar!

SeventyThree
08-31-2009, 11:18 AM
i also have a plant called "snake tree" i have no idea what it is but its perfect. has thick wide strong leaves and stems. grows tall but very slow and easy to trim. non-toxic (well at least from the stand point of useing it as a perch/hide and a toilet, don't know about eating it) i have tried to find out what this is. i bought it for $3 at home depot in the spring.

I think you're referring to a Sansevieria, it's a really common and hardy houseplant. Does it look like this:

http://www.nurseryassociates.com/gallery/images/SansevieriaLaurentii10.jpg

geckofreak
09-01-2009, 07:19 PM
beautiful tank, it could live in there its whole life couldn't it, nice to now you spoil them :)

snave_relyt
09-11-2009, 11:55 AM
this is pretty dang rad, I like how the fog looks at the bottom of the cage!

pink_panther_138
09-11-2009, 01:25 PM
i have a 2 1/2 yr old female tokay that i got in a trade...had no idea how they were...we are more the leopard type ...im willing to sell her she needs a good mate..she is absolutely beautiful...but a lil too agressive for my son to handle....if anyone is interested...give me a buzz...@ pink_panther_138@yahoo.com....thnx
:)

tokeh
09-20-2009, 03:38 PM
that's a amazing good looking vivarium:yikes:
i use infrared lights with my tokeh and they ignore or don't see the light.

Jessikah
09-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Thats Well Good! And Thats Your First Attempt? Haa Mines Abit Rubbish Then Lmao.