PDA

View Full Version : My new Tokays!

okTokaY210
01-07-2008, 11:54 AM
i just bought 2 tokays and as far as i thought they were acting normal. i put crickets in their cage when i got home, but now my male spends most/ all almost in the hide out, i am woundering if this is regular beheavior or if he just needs a little time to adjust to his new home???

'stoph
01-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Pretty normal they have to adapt to their new surrounding also they hate daylight.

okTokaY210
01-07-2008, 04:57 PM
i also have a UVB bulb that i have been hesitant to use because i read that you dont really need to. should i just not use it?

'stoph
01-07-2008, 05:05 PM
It's not necessary to install UV lights but if you have real plants in your terrarium it could be useful.
Tokays don't like bright light too much and hide during daytime.

okTokaY210
01-07-2008, 05:29 PM
i was also reading on another form about being able to see the geckos at night, while having them think its still night. what kind of bulb should i use for this. and what are some ways to keep the tank at a good tempeture at night when the lights are off??

thanks for all the help!

'stoph
01-07-2008, 05:49 PM
We have talked about night-lighting not so long ago
http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/tokay-geckos-gekko-gecko/27760-lighting.html
A low wattage bulb will do fine or use a dimmer - I think a blue bulb is most neutral color for nocturnal use.
I use a heat mat on one side of the terrarium to keep temperatures leveled.

cliff_f
01-07-2008, 08:07 PM
i just bought 2 tokays and as far as i thought they were acting normal. i put crickets in their cage when i got home, but now my male spends most/ all almost in the hide out, i am woundering if this is regular beheavior or if he just needs a little time to adjust to his new home???
I have noticed that males always tend to hide out alot more than females do.

henrykrull
01-26-2008, 07:18 PM
My male tends to do the opposite and my female hides out most of the time I use a flourescent bulb for my live plants and a heat bulb on one end that gets about 80 to 85 degrees i'm not sure if this is too hot but they both enjoy basking under it on the side of the glass or on the bamboo sticks.

cliff_f
01-26-2008, 09:40 PM
80-85F is not to hot you could even go a little warmer if you wanted.

jabberwock486
01-26-2008, 11:22 PM
mine hide constantly. unless you are up at night, like them, you may never see them. i work second shift, so the last few hours i am up i can view my tokays in their full glory. very active at night. however it might take time to get fully settled.

one thing that may help. if you provide many hides they will feel secure and will hide less as time goes on. they LOVE big branches and will hang out on them too. hollow logs or bamboo are favorites.