PDA

View Full Version : Humidity

okTokaY210
01-11-2008, 12:09 AM
How does everyone here keep the humidity in your cages up. i have a humidifier and spray whenever i need to, but i cant get it to stay. i am building a new cage for them asap, maybe that will hold the humidity better??

'stoph
01-11-2008, 02:26 AM
Normally i spray 3 times a day - i don't use humidifier just a small fountain.
When you spray check the water temperature leaving the sprayer - it easier to get humidity up when it's hand warm.
This way the gecko's also don't bark as much as when spraying with cold water and they still would drink the drops.

Do you have live plants? What kind of substrate?

okTokaY210
01-11-2008, 03:00 AM
no live plants now. i can put some in the new cage. i read that potting soil holds moisture will, so thats what im using.

'stoph
01-11-2008, 05:06 AM
Can we get a picture of your setup so we can get an idea of what's going on?

okTokaY210
01-11-2008, 06:19 PM
i can get some pictures up soon, theyre in a 10 gallon right now, just temporaily. and im starting on the new cage today.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
01-11-2008, 07:12 PM
I uses a substrate of peat moss. . . 3-4 inches deep. Some cages have a pothos in with them. I spray once a day. The humiditys between 40-60% most of the time and mine breed like crazy for me.

HerpinVerts
01-12-2008, 07:21 PM
I mist the cage good everyday, using a substrate that will hold the moisture is helpful to.

cliff_f
01-12-2008, 08:17 PM
If you mist them good once a day and have a substrate that help hold in the humidity that will be enough. It wont hurt the tokays at all if the humidity drops down untill the next day when you mist again. If you mist all the time the humidity will be up but the cage will also just be wet all the time. That would actually be worse than letting the humidity drop.

henrykrull
01-26-2008, 07:55 PM
I use a 3 inch deep mixture of peat moss and coco husk for my pair of tokays in my 50 gallon high tank, I also have a completly covered bottom of philodendronds. The humidity is usualy at 50% but I spray atleast three times a day and I'm waiting for their first pair of eggs to hatch in two more months weeeeeeeeeee!

Regan
01-30-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm checking in on this thread, because I'm in Texas and my humidity lasts about as long as a fart in the wind (sorry to be crass, but it's a very apt comparison!).

In fact, my Tokay had a serious shed problem where the top of his head refused to come off. I had an expert chip it all away, at great risk to his fingers, so now I'm committed to figure this out. I switched from a really tall terrarium (that the big guys wasn't taking advantage of) to a long planted vivarium. It has a gravel/LECA bottom layer that water can collect in after it goes through the top substrate (a mix of exoterra jungle earth, organic potting soil, organic orchid bark and dendro/coco bedding). The dendro bedding I got from Black Jungle.com is supposed to hold water without rotting right away. So in the corner where his has his hide, it's all dendro bedding. I use a humidifier and spray daily, and when he's about to molt (all gray), I plan on covering half the screen in some kind of plastic wrap to seal in a bit more moisture.

Hope my attempts help you and me!