PDA

View Full Version : Golden Gecko

penceton
01-10-2008, 11:20 PM
I was under the impression that Gekko ulikovskii was the Golden Gecko.....

Under Mark's page here: Geckos (http://markmlucas.com/Inventory/Geckos.html)

It shows Gekko auraticus as being a Golden Gecko???

Can someone clarify for me which it is? I did a google search and searched the forums but to no real avail........

Thank you

Alex

Ingo
01-11-2008, 01:39 AM
Gekko ulikovskii as given by Darevski et al in 1994 is the only valid name for this species. However, golden geckos seem to be quite polymorphic, so maybe in the future a revision will bring up subspecies or even new species.
Before the species was described scientifically, G. aureus, G. aurianticus, G. auraticus etc pp were trade names for this species, because customers want to hear scientific names. But there never was any validity behind those.

Ingo.

P.S.: As is the case for many herp vendors, Marks List contains quite a number of additional misspellings, errors and other inaccuracies in the scienticic names.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
01-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Ingo,
Doesnt there seem to be size and girth differences in goldens from different areas? I've seen some that are pretty good size and girthy as adults then some others that are smaller and skinny but totally healthy, and also some color differences too. I'm sure if they went threw and took a better look at them they would come up with some subspecies.

Ingo
01-12-2008, 06:11 AM
I second that. Some reach twice the weight than others and some come in with more yellowish spots rather than stripes, making them quite similat to G. petricolus. Lets wait for a herpetologist to have a closer lookt at the different locales

penceton
01-12-2008, 12:16 PM
More people should breed them in my opinion....they might be easy to tame that way...

cliff_f
01-12-2008, 10:03 PM
I have one female G.ulikovskii that is calm as can be. I got my first egg from her the other day but it was infirtle, so hopefully I will have some good eggs coming really soon.

penceton
01-13-2008, 03:39 AM
Awesome! :) Play some Barry White for her!!! Haha ;)

Ingo
01-13-2008, 05:09 AM
BTW: I also breed them.

My breeder pair

http://www.sonyuserforum.de/galerie/data/media/819/ulikovskiipaar.JPG

A hatchling
http://www.sonyuserforum.de/galerie/data/media/819/ulikovskiibaby0607i.JPG

An older baby
http://www.sonyuserforum.de/galerie/data/media/819/ulikovskiijuvenil2.JPG

Ingo

penceton
01-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Gorgeous!!! Do you have any available hatchlings? Do you ship to the US? How much if you do? Thanks for the pics! :)

Ingo
01-13-2008, 02:43 PM
I do have three left from this year, but I do not ship. I live in Germany and I will be in Hamm in March

Ingo

penceton
01-13-2008, 02:47 PM
:( They really need a "HAMM"-sandwich in US too! Heh.....hmph.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
01-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Thats a crazy looking baby. I didnt know they came out looking like that.

twitch_doberman
01-15-2008, 12:30 AM
i have 1 gekko ulikovskii and i love it. i'm pretty sureits a male but not 100% but he's quite tame. the store i bought him from still has another one.

Hemphogg
01-24-2008, 02:30 AM
Well as long as we're on the subjuct of Goldens, I thought I might show off mine...lol It's actualy my first Gecko.. It was abandoned in an apartment that I was working in.. Not sure how old he is but I don't think that he is too old... So any suggestions on habitat setup and raising one would be appreciated...

penceton
01-24-2008, 11:55 AM
A very nice species! Very visually appealing, clean lizard :) I'm always concerned w/ the handling/moving mine.....I don't want the tail to drop, so am cautious, and yet they can be pretty fast......very tricky when the time comes!

twitch_doberman
01-24-2008, 01:42 PM
mine lets me handle him fine i can just pick him up and he crawls onto my hand or sits up on my shoulder. the one that worries me about handling is my flying gecko. that lil shit is fast and crazy lol. but my golden is tame. very sweet boy

penceton
01-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Is your golden gecko CB? I really wish mine was :(

I guess "they" all have the capability of being fast "lil shits"!! hehe ;)

twitch_doberman
01-24-2008, 04:05 PM
no idea. saw him in a pet store and felt bad for him. in those tiny 1gal if that tanks with another golden gecko. i'm thinking about getting the other gecko to since its still there. they also have a bibron's gecko i want to get out of there.

penceton
01-27-2008, 02:39 AM
Bribon's are smaller, aren't they?

If you get anymore, are you going to eventually add them to the one tank?

twitch_doberman
01-27-2008, 12:52 PM
i want to start a project like that yes. i just either need to build my own tank or find a huge one that isn't beyond my budget. i dont see why more poeple don't experiment with mixing species as long as they are all from the same habbitat and can co-exist i think its healthier for them

crestedtimm
01-28-2008, 12:39 AM
I have one for sure male for like 7 years now, an import male w/3 legs, one cb baby,And a few females Ive been trying to acclimate/ raise up, as they are imports.
Which presents the question of whether or not there are different species within the group being brought in as Goldens. I believe it may also be locality for one.
Mine lived off of a diet consisting almost entirely of American roaches for a few years, shows a preference to flying insects such as moths, katydids, and in case you did not know, enjoy bannanas, and other sweet diets, such as you would feed cresteds, or Phelsuma for that matter, which mine sorta reminds me of.
A ten gallon for a lone male or pair is sufficient.

twitch_doberman
01-28-2008, 01:03 AM
i have my male house with a male flying gecko (ptychozoon kuhli) and a green tree frog in i think about 30 gal tank. and they all get along great. for some reason the frog and flying gecko really like eachother they always are next to one another or touching wherever they are in the cage. its pretty funny. but my golden is quite tame. only with me though. won't tolerate anyone else even getting near him. but i can pet and stroke him and he'll just chill.

penceton
01-28-2008, 07:59 PM
My tank is a 20L....and about a week ago I added one of those "terrarium top enclosures" that is a screen that fits ontop of the tank.....adding another 11 inches of height dimension! Very cool! So the bottom is 1/3 land w/ some sphagnum moss...then 2/3 water w/ some driftwood and fake plants....for the FIREBELLY TOADS!

With the added height, I put together three pieces of corkboard, some VINES and a background....there is also an arboreal "lagoon"(water dish) on one of the corners of the 20L glass portion.....

The golden treefrogs and golden gecko love the arboreal portion of the tank!

When and if I ever get a digital camera...I'll have to post some pics! :)

twitch_doberman
01-28-2008, 10:02 PM
wow sounds awesome. i can't wait to see pics. i want to get a HUGE enclosure like that and get a top to fit it and make something really neat