PDA

View Full Version : what should I do?

matt s
01-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Ok so I have a 5 month old tokay and he eats 3 crickets a night out of a bowl. Im going out of town for a week and was wondering if I place several bowls around the cage and place like 15-20 total would he eat himself to death? Or would he stop when he's full.

nuggular
01-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Well a week is not that long. You can feed heavily for a few days before you leave, then add a bit more that normal to the feeding dish. You could also let a few crickets roam free in the tank, that would give your gecko some exercise when hunting. Also, you can offer giant mealworms and superworms in the feeding dish as well. But if you gecko is of good weight, he can go a week without food easily. Keeping the humidity up when you are gone is the most important part.

matt s
01-16-2008, 11:41 AM
I Im setting up a 2 liter bottle to drip onto my live plants in the tank so that should help with the humidity.

Dragonflames81
01-16-2008, 07:27 PM
I always put a water dish in the enclosure, even if 9 out 10 times I know mine wont use it. Its still there just in case they want to. You might want to put a small water dish in the corner or something.

nuggular
01-17-2008, 09:29 AM
I concur on the water dish. I have one in every gecko tank I have. And I have seen them all use it. My tokay has drinken from the water dish since I had her.

cliff_f
01-18-2008, 09:44 PM
I would just feed him good untill you have to leave and the day you leave throw some extra crickets in the cage. Leave a water bowl in there for him and he should be just fine. Thats whats nice about reptiles, you really cant do that with a dog or a cat.

Jaguar Gecko77
01-19-2008, 04:37 AM
I agree tokays are very the "terminators" of the gecko world. LOL they are survivors mine is a beast and eats like a savage. But ive left mine for 2 weeks with a deli cup with 20 cricks and a fountian. No problems at all besides the dirty looks when i got home lol.
Good luck,