PDA

View Full Version : Loose tokay...HELP!

kevinfitz
01-17-2008, 04:36 PM
So I was watering the plants in my tokay's cage yesterday, when all of a sudden, she scurried up the side, made a flying leap, and took off. To make matters worse, she's in the basement, where lighting is poor, so I can't find her.

Any brilliant plans for trapping that devious little bugger? Here's my thought: I bought a transparent rubbermaid with a lid, will put a bunch of crickets in the rubbermaid (whose sides are too slick for them to climb) and cut a hole in the lid. How could I keep the tokay from climbing out? I don't know if she could scale the sides or not. Your help, previous experience, and suggestions are most welcome and appreciated.

Kevin

Dragonflames81
01-17-2008, 05:24 PM
is there anything down there that throws warmth? that would be my first place to look, like behind a fridge or something so that she can get warm.

kevinfitz
01-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Not really...I've looked everywhere that I could think of--water heater included. I'm keeping an eye on that area, though.
Also, she's so fast that I'm not convinced I could catch her even if she were hiding out like that. What I need is a good idea for a trap.

cliff_f
01-17-2008, 06:43 PM
My best advice is to go down and start looking when all the lights go out. That is when she will come out looking for food.

'stoph
01-18-2008, 12:21 AM
you can try a curver box with some crickets inside and a heat matt underneath.
Put a towel over the top and leave a small opening so she can enter.

But i wouldn't stop active search. Use flashlight, or listen if you can hear her crawl around in the dark.
When my tokays are in hiding i can trigger them showing up by playing the male call, especially the male will want to investigate the source of that sound - who knows.

kevinfitz
01-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Your "trap" idea is similar to mine. I will continue with the active search. Last night-nothing. Tonight? Who knows?

Riverside Reptiles
01-18-2008, 11:25 AM
I had a tokay get loose in an apartment once. Every now and then I'd flick on the lights in a room at night and she'd go running across a wall or the ceiling. So, I knew she was still alive. My biggest fear was having her think I was a heat source at night and waking up with her stuck to my face or something! Anyway, I did finaly recover her. But it took over a year. The cat was pawing at something behind a piece of furniture and when I looked to see what she was after, it was the tokay...alive and doing fine. I know this story doesn't help you much in the way of catching her. But I guess that my point is...don't give up hope. They're very rugged animals and can live a long time even in adverse conditions.

Turtlestork
01-18-2008, 11:42 AM
What about utilizing a bird or butterfly net? That way you can run and, if your fast enough, get her! I know Kingsnake has a whole forum devoted to escaped and lost herps. Check there.

TS

BlakeDeffenbaugh
01-18-2008, 05:49 PM
I wait till about midnight or so so that hes out runnin around on the walls. Then I take a big aquarium fish net (one of those blue or black ones you buy at pet stores) and catch him in it. Its pretty easy this way. No waiting for it to get in a trap or anything just fast and easy catch with a net.
Blake