PDA

View Full Version : Nephrurus levis levis in groups?

gekkie
01-25-2008, 10:37 AM
I was wondering if somebody keeps en breeds Nephrurus levis levis in a group? I would try to keep them in a 1.3 group if that's possible?

Regards Peter.

Charles
01-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi Peter,
I never tried this (1.3), but think that it sound not good at all!! The male will stress the females. By the way, he refuses to eat (eat no good) when the female(s) around. This is my case when I breeding this little guys.

Cheer,
Charles

Sebastian
01-26-2008, 08:53 AM
Hmm that´s interesting.
I also noticed that my male levis does not eat very good since I put him in a cage together with the female.
Anyone else made this experience?

Does anyone keep N.levis 1.1 or 1.x without problems ?

best

Sebastian

Glider
01-26-2008, 08:58 AM
I have levis levis in 1.1 and levis pilbarensis in 1.1 and 1.2 with no problems.
I remove the male for a few days when the female is getting ready to lay so she has some peace to lay and a few days to recover.

When the mating takes place the male is concentrating on that and may briefly go off his food, but in my experience he seems to know when he's 'done the job' with the females and does not hassle them again until after she has laid.

I believe with a large enough enclosure and plenty of hidesites 1.3 is fine.

skycock
01-26-2008, 12:20 PM
I personally disagree with housing any Nephrurus in groups. They are quite solitary and tend to need their "alone" time which could prove difficult with more animals in the enclosure. If you are attempting to breed them, I highly disagree with housing the male with the females. Just my opinion, but the stress of one male with three females seems potentially dangerous to the health of all said animals.

frilled1
01-27-2008, 04:44 PM
I agree i have never kept N levis in group's. alway's 1 animal per tub. plus i think you will have better success introducing female's to male 1 at a time.

GoldenGateGeckos
01-27-2008, 07:17 PM
My N. levis seem to thrive much better when housed individually.

Sebastian
01-28-2008, 02:33 AM
So people mainly keep them separately.

Did anyone of you try to keep them in groups or did you keep them separate from beginning ?
Do N.levis live solitary in the wild ?

best

Sebastian

Glider
01-28-2008, 05:53 AM
I have found that mine that I have raised in groups thrive like that, but new additions that have been raised individually prefer to stay that way and will gradually lose condition if kept with others.

Sebastian
01-28-2008, 06:00 AM
Thatīs very interesting !

Thanks for that info!

best

Sebastian

Random
01-29-2008, 11:21 AM
hi i keep n. levis levis in groups, one 1:1 and one group 1:2 but in very large tanks and heaps of hiding spots seem to do really well.

Elias_Bader
01-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Hello
Some months ago, there was a publication about N. levis which said that they're often found in groups of two or more (in general 1.1 or 1.x) in the same burrow during the day, what shall increase the climate inside. But during the night there's no contact between these animals. This seems to be a really nice discussion issue ;)

By the way, I keep my pair together at the moment. I'll see how it works after hibernation.

Sebastian
01-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Indeed an interesting discussion.

Elias, do have by any chance this paper about the levis or can tell me where it was published?

How long does your pair live together? Did you notice your male not to eat good ?

best

Sebastian

Riverside Reptiles
01-29-2008, 08:55 PM
I keep all of my levis separated. I do it not just because it's what I've always read to do with levis, but also because it makes it easy for me to keep track of which animals have eaten and how much they've eaten and exactly when breeding occurs and how often, etc. That way, if a health issue occurs, I can know for sure the details for each animal.

Ira
01-29-2008, 09:07 PM
I keep all of my levis separated. I do it not just because it's what I've always read to do with levis, but also because it makes it easy for me to keep track of which animals have eaten and how much they've eaten and exactly when breeding occurs and how often, etc. That way, if a health issue occurs, I can know for sure the details for each animal.

I do the same

Elias_Bader
01-30-2008, 04:47 AM
Indeed an interesting discussion.

Elias, do have by any chance this paper about the levis or can tell me where it was published?

How long does your pair live together? Did you notice your male not to eat good ?

best

Sebastian

I thougt I read this on the DGHT-Newspage, but I can't refind it :roll:
I keep them together since last October and until shortly before the winter he was still gaining weight. I wonder how it goes on in spring :)