PDA

View Full Version : P.masobe Care?

Sabol
01-27-2008, 01:58 AM
I am just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for some care sheets on P.mosobe or give me a few tips.. i just want to have every thing right... before i look into buying some..
thanks

Riverside Reptiles
01-27-2008, 05:58 PM
I don't know of any actual care sheets. But if you do a search on here for masobe, you'll find quite a bit of information on them thanks to people like Matjaz and a few other members that have had good success with keeping and breeding them.

mat.si
02-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi!
When I find the time, I will eventually try to put together a care sheet for masobe. Hopefully in the not too distant future. :) :blushing:
I've written about how I keep them in some of my early masobe posts.

Essentially you need low temperatures (about 17 to 23 C, up to 25 C in the summer) and high humidity (spray every to every other evening).

High terrarium with cork pieces and branches + at least one live plant (bushy small leaved ficus trees work best) + some dark hiding places (black plastic shelters work best for me). There are some photos of my masobe terrariums somewhere in the Paroedura forum.

They will eat lateralis and crickets. Snails are essential for breeding females.
Calcium in a dish can be offered as well.

That's the condensed version of my masobe knowledge. :)

Regards, Matjaz

mat.si
02-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Photos from my old post:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa165/mmatphotos/Paroedura%20masobe/masobeterrarium05.jpg
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa165/mmatphotos/Paroedura%20masobe/masobeterrarium04.jpg
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa165/mmatphotos/Paroedura%20masobe/masobeterrarium03.jpg
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa165/mmatphotos/Paroedura%20masobe/masobeterrarium01.jpg

BlakeDeffenbaugh
02-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Whats reasonable askin price for WC P. Masobe? I've found them from 200-400 US. But I'm not going to over pay for a animal that can possibly die.

Riverside Reptiles
02-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Whats reasonable askin price for WC P. Masobe? I've found them from 200-400 US. But I'm not going to over pay for a animal that can possibly die.

Blake, even the most experienced keepers have problems keeping masobe alive. So if you're not willing to take a chance on having them die, you should probably pick a different project. You're not likely to find them cheaper than what you've stated. And if you do, it's because they're half dead already. I too would love to work with them. But I'll wait until some cbb's hit the market (which will probably be a long wait...unless of course Matjaz decides to send me a pair of his ;) )

BlakeDeffenbaugh
02-10-2008, 11:37 AM
I dont have a problem paying that kind of money for good CB animals. Its just the WC ones I dont think should be that much considering the problems almost everyone seems to have with them. Ah well. . just have to wait till some CB ones are available this year.

Haroldo
02-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Matjaz,

Considering the spacing of the leaves on your "bonsai" ficus plants, do you think Jade would work equally as well?
Also, do you have any pointers for acclimating wild-caught specimens?

Thanks for sharing the pictures, they are helpful.
Best,
Harold

DDReptiles
02-10-2008, 12:53 PM
I thought they stopped exporting masobe?? Just wondering as I saw 2 guys selling imported animals on KS?

Haroldo
02-10-2008, 01:12 PM
I thought they stopped exporting masobe?? Just wondering as I saw 2 guys selling imported animals on KS?

As far as I know, exporting P. masobe is still legal...

DDReptiles
02-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Did this not go though or something?
http://www.geckosunlimited.com/community/paroedura/20095-masobe-elevated-cites-1-a.html

If you scroll down, look at Jasons (Protean) first post

Here is a copy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Correction. They are on the National Protection list as a Category 1, Class 1 species.

To quote my guy... from an email sent yesterday 9/29/06

"Paroedura masobe is no longer allowed for export, it is a category 1, class 1 animal now, same protection class as lemurs and radiated tortoises.
No, it is the national protection list but it means they can not be exported
any more. Even if an exporter would be stupid enough to try and get through, you would be in trouble in the USA receiving them because of the Lacey Act that forbids imports of species protected in their countries of origin, even non CITES.

It came as a surprisre to me too. The law was signed back in June already
but no body knew about until yesterday.

The ban is justified I would think, they are hard to keep (wc) and are
becoming increasingly rare because people were exporting them for the general pet trade."

So not CITES but equivocally a similar type of protection service.

Sorry ya'll. They are a no trade species now from the wild. Bums me out because a good size chunk of my shipment was masobe. now I have to adjust it. Stumpffi and androyensis now.

Cheers
Jason

Protean
02-10-2008, 03:02 PM
I was a little surprised myself as well. I have a handful of them coming in on my next shipment but that is about all I know outside of that.

foot in mouth at the moment.

-jason

mat.si
02-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Considering the spacing of the leaves on your "bonsai" ficus plants, do you think Jade would work equally as well?
Also, do you have any pointers for acclimating wild-caught specimens?

Hi!
What is "Jade"? A plant?

I don't have any real experiences working with wc masobe, but I would just follow logic and experiences with cb animals.
I would only buy wc animals, if I would knew and trust the importer.
Cheap masobe are never a good omen.
If the wc animals would still be in relatively good health (most are probably dehydrated to some degree and possibly overheated) and not already half dead, I would set them up in natural terrarium with live plants and plenty of dark hiding places and then give them as much peace and quiet as possible.
High humidity (regular spraying), low temperatures and as little stress as possible are the most important factors.
Plants with small leaves will hold humidity (a lot of drops on leaves)
for a longer time.
I would try to feed the variety of prey (roaches, crickets, snails).
WC females would very probably take snails, which would be better for them than insects to regain weight and health.

As far as I know, they have only protected masobe in Madagascar and not internationally. Since we know how things work in poor countries, I'm not surprised they are still exported. I've heard that they are still being exported under old quotas. But I've noticed that at least in Europe, the wc animals are offered quite less frequently than in the past.
Like with Uroplatus in Europe the imports will definitely stop at some point.

Regards, Matjaz

Afelinus
02-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Once imported,by an importer with a valid I/E License,the consumer is not responsible for any violation.The only punitive action would be consfiscation if FWS felt the need to.The importer of record would be the one to suffer any punitive action.The fact that a reputable exporter such as the one Jason purchases from,has produced a document stating that they are now protected would be enough for me to make sure to explore this fully,and leave no stone unturned.A Lacy Act violation is no laughing matter.I think with the current state of affairs regarding this hobby/industry,everyone should be very careful.Reptile confiscations make interesting television fodder.Also state laws vary in the handling of these matters too.One thing to add,as Matjaz mentioned,quotas can be a factor,regarding the year of issue and extensions can be granted.I have some tortoises coming from Malaysia that we have extended the CITES permits on.They have went from one calendar year to the next.As long as the Country of Origin approves it,no problem here in the U.S.