PDA

View Full Version : Classifieds

Marty
02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Transition to the new classifieds is done. I'm very curious to hear how you guys like the new classifieds. As much as possible I tried to make everyone happy. Good or Bad, feedback is much appreciated.

FYI, I just upgraded it few minutes ago to the latest version. I've been closely working with the developer, so we get things modified so it works best for GU.

I know some of you liked the threaded ads, the cool thing is that we have the best of both worlds. In addition to the classified system, when you post an ad, a thread is created automatically. When you feature an ad, the thread becomes sticky and your ad shows at the bottom of the forum when you're in a post view. It's very cool IMO.

at any rate, I'd really appreciate some feedback :yawn:

GCS Reptiles
02-07-2008, 03:06 AM
I like that it starts a thread for the ad as well. Mostly, I just use the "new posts" button and don't wander off too much from there. This makes it easier rather than hunting through the classifieds seperately.

Marty
02-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Yes I noticed how, some of you really got used to the threads :) I can't see how that would be easier than the classified search feature. What I like about the threads is that it gives your ads more exposure on the forum. We're visited daily or even few times daily by search engines and it's nice to see that ads that were placed few hrs ago are already indexed by google...ie the red harley female crested ad that was placed just a few hrs ago, already shows up in google if you search for "red harley female crested for sale" (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=red+harley+female+crested+for+sale&btnG=Search), giving you guys much more exposure then it was ever possible just with the threas alone....although the threads are also indexed, so it's a double whammy.

Marty
02-07-2008, 03:50 PM
I see few unhappy people. Feel free to comment why you don't like the classifieds.

Marty
02-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Now that the site is almost done, I have to start working on increasing the participation a little :)

Docmurder
09-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Now that the site is almost done, I have to start working on increasing the participation a little :)

just my opininion but personally I haven't been posting much on this forum anymore since you started charging for the classifieds section. I have since started posting regularly on another forum that offers free classifieds. Im sure you knew you would lose some interest in the site because of it but hopefully it works out for you. I thought I would give you my reason though.

Riverside Reptiles
09-20-2008, 10:10 PM
just my opininion but personally I haven't been posting much on this forum anymore since you started charging for the classifieds section. I have since started posting regularly on another forum that offers free classifieds. Im sure you knew you would lose some interest in the site because of it but hopefully it works out for you. I thought I would give you my reason though.

Actually we've added about 1,000 new members since then. So, it's worked out pretty well IMO. I don't think that charging $1 for a classified ad to help support the site has had much of a negative effect at all except to cut back on the people selling junk animals who are too cheap to dish out a buck. Sorry to hear that you'd rather give up quality content for free classifieds. But to each his own I suppose.

cliff_f
09-20-2008, 10:29 PM
I think the classifieds have worked out great. Just shows how much of a cheap ass someone people can be. They think having to spend a dollar to sell animals and also to keep a top quality site running is to much. People only think about thier self and not all the work and money that goes into them being able to use these services. ME ME ME.

Marty
09-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Cliff, you bring a tear to my eye :biggrin:. If anything the new classifieds serverd a purpose to weed out the 'not so serious' sellers. I don't think I'd blink twice about paying a buck if I'm selling a gecko for $200. And if you're selling a gecko for $10 and paying a buck is too much, then PM me and I'll throw some credits your way.

Ethan, you're being very modest. We've added almost 3000 new members since then! We're getting around 300 new registrations every month :cheer:

jadis
09-21-2008, 12:56 PM
hi room its nice to be here

need more buzz partners

Docmurder
09-21-2008, 07:41 PM
I think the classifieds have worked out great. Just shows how much of a cheap ass someone people can be. They think having to spend a dollar to sell animals and also to keep a top quality site running is to much. People only think about thier self and not all the work and money that goes into them being able to use these services. ME ME ME.

a cheap ass? im assuming you must be referring to me. I could have a few choice words for you but I will refrain.

Just because I dont want to pay a dollar for a classifieds doesn't mean im cheap. I dont light dollar bills on fire either. Its not because im cheap its because it is wasteful. Some people have budgets and other venues to sell their geckos through without paying for classifieds. Personally I produce a limited quantity of geckos so the free classifieds worked out perfect for me along with the species specific forums. Also what if I pay a dollar and my gecko doesn't sell. I have used up all my credits for the classifieds and only sold one. so i would have paid for 3 classifieds and got 1 sale. Granted the increased use of the website could possibly lead to more sales but the point im trying to make is that just because a paid classifieds is not in someone's budget doesn't mean they are cheap. Im sorry that I had to focus on this but I was highly offended and you come off a little high and mighty i might add. You don't know what is going on in my life that I might want to use my dollars elsewhere and paid classifieds aren't the only way for internet sites to make money. Marty is taking full advantage of all the ways that he can make money advertisements, special benefits for paid forum supporters, gecko calendars and merchandise... I'm not saying that free classifieds is the only way to go and I'm not saying its the right way to go I was simply stating my reason for reduced posts and being a more infrequent visitor to the site. obviously by this post you can see that I think of not only myself.

Docmurder
09-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Actually we've added about 1,000 new members since then. So, it's worked out pretty well IMO. I don't think that charging $1 for a classified ad to help support the site has had much of a negative effect at all except to cut back on the people selling junk animals who are too cheap to dish out a buck. Sorry to hear that you'd rather give up quality content for free classifieds. But to each his own I suppose.

Im not trying to insult anyone but it seems you have taken defensively to my comment. I was simply giving some constructive criticism and casting my vote as to what would help with participation. I do see your point about the junk animals and it may limit that but really those people eliminate themselves by selling junk animals. People talk and if they have to they take it to the BOI. word gets around that this guy is a crook or does bad business and he doesn't get business simple as that. Just because someone doesn't want to pay a dollar for an ad doesn't mean their animals are junk and same goes for the other way around just because someone pays a dollar for the ad doesn't mean their animals are automatically quality animals. Those paying junk animal dealers are dealt with in the same manner as nonpaying junk animal dealers. Sorry to hear that you can't take constructive criticism openly and see things from the other side.

PassPort
09-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Just because someone doesn't want to pay a dollar for an ad doesn't mean their animals are junk and same goes for the other way around just because someone pays a dollar for the ad doesn't mean their animals are automatically quality animals.

no, it just means that you expect things to be given to you, like you deserve them for just being here. either that or you're not serious about breeding animals, in that case you shouldn't be doing it. paying a buck to post an ad is chump change. it's the people who ant free classifieds that would be gumming them up anyways. how about a whole forum of,

"gecko for sale, I think it's a mack snowed golden fire gecko, or at least what the pet shop told me. he's a little skinny, but eats well once a week. I've never shipped before, so local pick up only."

that's what most of the ads look like in forums with free classifieds! keep the junk out and you've got my buck!

cliff_f
09-21-2008, 09:47 PM
ME ME ME ME ME ME ME IT's ALL ABOUT ME!!!! :) Docmurder I dont think you are the only one that has money problems. I wouldnt mind spending my dollar somewhere else but spending it on a classified that gets thousands of views a month so I can possible make a few hundred than yeah I am going to spend a dollar on that. I can see how you think Marty is a crook since he is trying to make a little money to help keep this site up and running...what a crook someone should report him.

PassPort
09-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Geeeeez Cliff, you cheapskate! you're only paying a dollar per classified? I'm a starving college student and I'm dropping a whopping Hamilton a month to be a forum supporter. I guess I'm just a big spender because I put less than 1% of my monthly income back into the forum I enjoy so much. What can I say, it's how I roll. Even better, I make a few bucks off of forum sales every once and a while too!

PassPort
09-21-2008, 10:05 PM
oh, and the only free gecko classifieds that are half way decent are the repashy ones, and those are only good if you are selling just cresteds and don't mind gobs and gobs of competition

Riverside Reptiles
09-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Marty is taking full advantage of all the ways that he can make money advertisements, special benefits for paid forum supporters, gecko calendars and merchandise...

Here's where you're wrong. Marty is taking advantage of all the ways that he can make the forum pay for itself. He doesn't make a dime off of this site. Every bit of money made goes right back into keeping this site up and running and Marty still ends up spending cash out of his own pocket. It's pretty obvious that you have no clue what the costs involved in maintaining a site like this are (not to mention the huge time commitment). The only people making money off of this site are the ones that are selling animals on here.

Sorry to hear that you can't take constructive criticism openly and see things from the other side.

We are happy to take constructive criticism. As I said, if free classifieds are what's important to you, then that's your choice. But the fact remains that without some source(s) of income, this site wouldn't exist. Period. So, despite your opinion, I don't see the pay classified system changing around here any time soon.

Docmurder
09-22-2008, 12:08 AM
ME ME ME ME ME ME ME IT's ALL ABOUT ME!!!! :) Docmurder I dont think you are the only one that has money problems. I wouldnt mind spending my dollar somewhere else but spending it on a classified that gets thousands of views a month so I can possible make a few hundred than yeah I am going to spend a dollar on that. I can see how you think Marty is a crook since he is trying to make a little money to help keep this site up and running...what a crook someone should report him.

yes obviously i said marty is a crook.. thats exactly what i was referring to *hint sarcasm*
Im not saying that paid classifieds make this site suck. Im saying that it is the reason I dont come here as much and since marty was asking for feedback I told him. obviously your blind devotion to this website is causing you to be narrow minded. Everyone has different priorities maybe yours is paid classified ads maybe mine isn't. personally I'm spending every dime i have on my wedding. Im done with you on this topic Cliff. dont bother responding.

Docmurder
09-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Here's where you're wrong. Marty is taking advantage of all the ways that he can make the forum pay for itself. He doesn't make a dime off of this site. Every bit of money made goes right back into keeping this site up and running and Marty still ends up spending cash out of his own pocket. It's pretty obvious that you have no clue what the costs involved in maintaining a site like this are (not to mention the huge time commitment). The only people making money off of this site are the ones that are selling animals on here.

We are happy to take constructive criticism. As I said, if free classifieds are what's important to you, then that's your choice. But the fact remains that without some source(s) of income, this site wouldn't exist. Period. So, despite your opinion, I don't see the pay classified system changing around here any time soon.

I do understand what it takes to run a site like this. it depends on how much javascript/ html knowledge the person has is what depends on how much $$ he is actually spending per month. Maybe he does and maybe he doesn't make enough money to cover the bills. If the other stuff isn't covering the bills to run the site which I would think it would and then some then personally I would charge for the classifieds. Personally when I got to the geckos unlimited website that was the big draw for me that there was a free classifieds section. As I have stated time and time again and as you said its my choice and its my view. If you dont mind paying for classifieds or are in a better position to put your money in that direction then I respect that and my choice to do what I want and have the views that I have should be respected as well. Personally I would love to have my own forum and actually make money off of it and if i could pull it off I would and who wouldn't. Like I said it was my reason to leave and maybe when it is more convenient for me and I can start putting my money in that direction I will. you guys make something so complicated out of something so simple. I wasn't coming in here saying this forum sucks and I hate it. My post was simply to inform marty my reason that I use the forums less kind of how businesses ask why you left them so that they can gather the information and use it as they see fit. Marty may have looked at my post and shrugged it off like well there isn't anything I can do about that so lets see why other people aren't coming to the site or have stopped coming...

PassPort
09-22-2008, 12:31 AM
I totally understand about the whole getting married thing. I got married 2 months ago. A month before my wedding I pulled $100 out of the honeymoon fund to split a booth at a local herp show. I ended up making $500 that weekend in sales, got my name out there quite a bit, obtained some rare geckos in a trade, and set up a wholesale account with a local petshop. It does take money to make money, but more importantly it takes money to advertise, even if it is just a buck a post. I know you understand that and I'm not trying to say that you don't.

Maybe Marty should have a deal where all members get like 3 free posts? Then members could take money made off of gecko sales and save a bit for future advertising costs? Dunno, maybe he already does?

Good luck with the wedding!

-Kevin

Docmurder
09-22-2008, 12:48 AM
I totally understand about the whole getting married thing. I got married 2 months ago. A month before my wedding I pulled $100 out of the honeymoon fund to split a booth at a local herp show. I ended up making $500 that weekend in sales, got my name out there quite a bit, obtained some rare geckos in a trade, and set up a wholesale account with a local petshop. It does take money to make money, but more importantly it takes money to advertise, even if it is just a buck a post. I know you understand that and I'm not trying to say that you don't.

Maybe Marty should have a deal where all members get like 3 free posts? Then members could take money made off of gecko sales and save a bit for future advertising costs? Dunno, maybe he already does?

Good luck with the wedding!

-Kevin

He does i used up my credits already. Honestly I was just pissed because I was called cheap and just because I can't afford to be a forum supporter now is the only reason that Im not posting here is bc i can't afford it til after the wedding .

Thanks it should go well ive spent probably 5 grand out of my own pocket paying for the wedding because her parents dont have alot of money and neither do mine.

If the classifieds system is doing well and Marty feels generous maybe he could implement a 1 free credit a month idea for people that dont have alot to sell and maybe only use free advertising. Craigslist works for me alot to be honest and between paid and free whether its only a dollar or not why wouldn't i pick free? If I start breeding more geckos or more of a variety and have more to sell I might just start doing paid advertising...

Riverside Reptiles
09-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Alright, I think everyone's said what they wanted to say at this point. No sense in beating a dead horse.:horse:

Let's keep this thread calm, cool, and collected as this site is known for being.

Some people go to message boards for content and to contribute to a community. Others go for free classifieds. To each their own. Thanks for your input.

cliff_f
09-22-2008, 08:43 AM
I thought the sales of animals on on craigslist was prohibited?

Marty
09-22-2008, 09:48 AM
As much as I'm protective of GU and I want everyone to like everything we have here. I realize that everyone has a choice in the sites that they visit and support and there's little on my part that I can do to influence people's decisions.

GU is completely open and I hold no prejudices against anyone if you're interested great, if not...oh well. We try to make the site as appealing as possible. Having everything for free would have been a great appeal, I understand that. (Though, if you're just after the knowledge, posting photos and sharing with others, everything is free!)

As much as I'd like to offer everything for free, the problem is that at the end of the month I have a bill to pay. The big difference how the site was before and now is that the previous owner was a gecko breeder/seller so weather the site did or did not pay for itself did not matter because his gecko business more then picked up the slack with sales generated by this site...at the same time, he used a shared host with all free software which comprises a sliver of our current costs. Since the site revamp, we've picked up much more traffic and members.

We've overhauled everything on this site with a lot of custom scripting and web development, paid scripts, mods and forum software itself and we're running on a dedicated server. I did a lot of it myself, but what I didn't have time for, I contracted out. I am certain that I did not recover the cash and time that I've sunk into GU. Just recently I put a new hard drive into the server, which ads about $40/month to the monthly bill. To put things into perspective, we made almost $20 last month on google ads!

I understand your wedding jitters and I know it's a financially stressful time. I've been there done that and paid for it myself too. At the same time, my wife is due in 2 weeks with our 2nd one. It's pretty stressful, especially with a 2 year old running around the house, a full time day job, side business and 5 other websites to worry about... My schedule is packed.

If I offer everything here for free, it's not you who will take the loss at the end of the month. It's me and my family. I can't allow GU to be a financial burden on me. I do everything that I can to make this the best site possible, but the key is that it has to pay for itself. Despite what some may think, GU isn't a project on which you can retire, and any improvements and changes are a major time hog.... and if it turns out that I come up with some extra coin from it and take the family out for dinner on GU, woo hoo... what a treat after spending thousands of dollars and 100s if not 1000s of hrs on it. If it turns out that all of the sudden we're able to coast on google ads alone, then fine, I wouldn't have a problem bringing back the free classifieds. Many would probably much rather pay a buck just to weed out the junk ads and clutter associated with free ads. Plus it seems when the ads are paid, we have people who are much more serious about the hobby participating. Enough of me ranting and if you seriously can't afford a buck for the ad, then as a wedding gift I'm sending some free credits your way. :biggrin:

Kazska
09-22-2008, 10:06 AM
We've added almost 3000 new members since then! We're getting around 300 new registrations every month :cheer:

Yay! Congrats! :cheer:

I LOVE this site and the people on it, its a great community, and when I have a proper job and earning lotsa moneys I'm gonna buy lots of stuff from the support store and become a GU supporter.... and thats a PROMISE Marty! :yahoo: WOOT WOOT!

xxxXXX