PDA

View Full Version : broody male tokay

jabberwock486
02-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Usually itís the female that doesnít want to mate, not the male. In my case the male has gone broody. All he does is guard the eggs, some times eating and drinking. I have noticed the female is out and about. She is gaining weight and I am still waiting for eggs to hatch. She last laid eggs in the middle of November. From what I can tell she looks to be scouting new laying locations. She has also showed interest in breeding. She gets very excited when any gecko like sounds occurs. Last night I played her the mating call and she reacted immediately each time it played. She wanted out of the tank. The male on the other hand would go back and guard his eggs.

Is this normal behavior for male Tokay geckos? The female still returns to the nest but it seems the male is doing all the guarding.

cliff_f
02-11-2008, 10:43 PM
That is common. Males are very protective of their eggs. There is nothing wrong with that.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/cliff_f/tokays/Tokays%2007/IMG_1240.jpg

jabberwock486
02-19-2008, 12:04 AM
i think my eggs might be getting ready to hatch. i have noticed they have started to sweat after the parents started leaving them. both are eating now and i am keeping an eye on the eggs.