PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Eye

Dragonflames81
02-15-2008, 01:32 PM
Last night when I went to feed everybody this new girl I got like two days ago has a very swollen eye. She looked real good when the guy gave her to me nice weight everything and in two days shes looking pretty bad. I called my vet and I"m waiting for him to call me back. You guys ever seen this in any wild caught ones? I've researched into bubble eye or swollen eye but hes different I can not find any cuts tears or anything around her eye. She hasn't shed from what I can tell. Any ideas? I know the pics aren't the clearest I could not get her to stay still.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d35/Dragonflames81/badeye006.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d35/Dragonflames81/badeye004.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d35/Dragonflames81/badeye003.jpg

David Brouwer
02-15-2008, 02:40 PM
That eye is seriously swollen !
Maybe this is a case of eye worms. This is unfortunately common with G. Gecko and G. Smithii and other Gekko spp. I hope the vet can tell you more.

Greetings David

BlakeDeffenbaugh
02-15-2008, 06:27 PM
This is the first time I've ever even seen or heard about it in Tokays. I havnt had any problems like it before so I dont even know where to start. Let us know what happends though. I'd like to know if you get her fixed what it took to do so. Good luck.

cliff_f
02-15-2008, 07:35 PM
It is most likely a fungus in the eye that got under the eye lens.

Ingo
02-16-2008, 05:57 AM
Thats all giesses. To add one: Aeromonas/Pseudomonas infection.
In any case you need to see a vet for proper diagnosis

Ingo

cliff_f
02-16-2008, 09:27 AM
But mine is a pretty damn good guess.

Dragonflames81
02-16-2008, 01:15 PM
thanks for your help guys, shes died last night. Went to check on her late last night and her eye looked like it burst and she wasn't moving anymore. It looked like the swelling spread to her whole head, even her other eye started to look cloudy. I guess its for the best and shes not suffereing anymore. I've never seen something kill so quickly.

Ingo
02-17-2008, 06:11 AM
But mine is a pretty damn good guess.
...and mine is even better...which strain of fungus do you suspect to be responsible and why?

Tariq Stark
02-17-2008, 06:49 AM
In any case you need to see a vet for proper diagnosis

Indeed, we can guess ofcourse but can't really say anything for sure. I've seen a lot of Gekko gecko and Gekko smithi that suffer from this problem. One time I had the oppertunity to disect a deceased animal myself. I noticed that in the enlarged eye a worm (nematode?) was present. I can't say for sure that this parasite was the culprit. What I do know, is that all animals that develope this problem will die. I do not know if their is a treatment and more important, what causes this problem in the first place!

I believe Ingo suggestion is a very good guess. Hopefully this animal can be examined (if the parasites that caused this, whatever they are, can still be detected).

Sorry for your loss,

Tariq

Ingo
02-17-2008, 01:01 PM
In many cases this is caused by bacteria from a mouth infection, which managed to travel to the eye. The nematode case you can identify by loooking at he eye for a longer time. Often you do in fact see the worms.
I know of no fungal infection with similar symptoms

Ingo

Tariq Stark
02-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Often you do in fact see the worms.

Indeed. Unfortunatly, I haven't had the chance to examine this specimen when it was still alive. As I said before, your suggestion is a good one. It's time that this particulair problem is going to get examined properly. Thus far, if only seen it in Gekko (although I've seen one Hemidactylus (Teratolepis) fasciatus with a similair problem).

Tariq