View Full Version : Looking for some info

02-21-2008, 04:32 AM
So I could have sworn I saw a post where someone posted a vent pic of a Golden Gecko male and female. Someone also commented that the spurs were the best way to guess at the sex of younger animals. Now I've used the search feature and can't find the thread/post. Anyone remember it?

There's a tiny chance the thread doesn't exist and I had a dream about it, but I think it's real. It might have been in a different forum for some reason like other geckos or one of the non-gecko ones.

02-21-2008, 11:23 AM
here you go

No, sorry, I meant...

02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks! Do you know by any chance if "Grossman's Gecko" is sexed in the same way?

02-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Just by chance I do breed grossmanni since many years and I have published a few papers on their husbandry with a focus on breeding. If you give me an emailadress, I can send you PDFs. Its all german, but the pics are quite self explanatory.
To answer the question: Not really. Grossmanni females in difference to ulikovskii females do have clearly visible tubercles at their tale base. But also in this species these scales are significantly bigger in males. Also the difference in preanal pore activity is clearly visible. For grossmanni also the difference in size and head shape is much more pronounced than in ulikovskii. Just by a dorsal look at the head of a semi adult to adult specimen ist quite easy to tell, what sex it is.
Hope that helps

P.S.: Grossmanni do very much prefer to lay their eggs underneath leaves lying parallel close to the surface of a rock. If they do not find such places, many female do eat even fertile eggs just after laying. Might be good to know if you want to breed them. Also there are at least two grossmanni morphs which to my experience do not readily interbreed -if at all. Anyhow, the smaller morph has seemingly vanished from the pet trade.

David Brouwer
02-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Ingo, I'm interested in those PDF-files too because I have also kept G. Grossmanni.
Thanks Already !

02-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Hi David,

I only have PDFs for 2 of my 5 G. grossmanni related papers. But these I can send you if you provide me with an email adress.