PDA

View Full Version : Cricket smell reduction? Baking soda?

Ira
02-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Would baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) effectively reduce the smell from the cricket bin? Either opening the box and putting it by the bin or placing some in a deli cup with a screen lid inside the bin help reduce any smell or be harmful to the crickets?

I have them in a large plastic bin with a screen top. There isn't a lot of smell, but I was wondering if this would "eat" up what smell is there?

-Ira

Riverside Reptiles
02-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Ira, The best way to get rid of cricket smell is to switch to roaches! :lol:

jabberwock486
03-01-2008, 12:36 AM
agreed, switch to roaches. baking soda does not work. i tried it on mice too. doesn't work there either. hate hate hate the smell of mice and crickets.

Ira
03-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Lol, i cant stand them. Its mental, gotta get over the hump.

Riverside Reptiles
03-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Just think of them as non jumping crickets!

Ira
03-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Ethan, what species of roach do you use and where do you get yours from?

Riverside Reptiles
03-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Ira, I use B. Dubia and B. lateralis. If you were to only go with one, I would probably suggest Lateralis. They really kind of are like non-jumping crickets (similar in size, shape, etc). Seriously, once you make the jump over to roaches, you'll not want to go back to crickets. They live way longer (which means not having tons of dead bugs in the bottom of your bin), they don't smell, they don't make noise, they have a higher meat to shell ratio, and they're easy to breed. Do yourself a favor and give it a try. The worst that can happen is that you'll use up what you buy and if you don't like them you can always go back to crickets. But I bet that you won't ;)

BlakeDeffenbaugh
03-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Problem I have found (and some other big breeders) is that not every gecko will take roaches though. Some animals of one species will take them then others of the same species wont. Its kinda a it and miss deal. For the ones that will take them its awesome because they dont smell. But it does seem like crickets are a necessity even if a unwanted one lol. I just clean my boxes once a month and I never have any problems with smell. I have used baking soda before and it seemed to help but when you change them a lot it helps more.

Riverside Reptiles
03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
I have quite a few animals and I've had no issues getting them all to eat roaches. Some will only take dubia and some will only take lateralis, and some like both. But between the two types, I've had no problems. In fact, I find that I have a lot less issues with picky eaters than I did back in the days when I used crickets. If you think about it, roaches are a much more natural prey item for most animals as they exist pretty much everywhere in the world. Like switching over to any new prey item, it may take a little work. But I think you'll find the end result to be worth it. Again, worst case scenario is that you drop $20 on 1,000 roaches and decide that you don't like them. You can always go back to crickets. All I can say is that after 15 years of using crickets, I'm more than happy with roaches and I'll gladly never go back.

BlakeDeffenbaugh
03-03-2008, 05:03 PM
I got Dubia right now. I got a small colony of them and I'm tryin to get them to breed for me before I really start feeding them. I havnt tried lateralis yet though. I agree that if you can get your animals eating roaches it would make life so much easier.

Ethan how long does it take to get your Dubia breeding? Mine are all adult but I havnt seen any babys yet. Kinda annoying. I'm really wanting to get away from crickets.

cliff_f
03-03-2008, 08:58 PM
I just keep my crickets well ventilated and i clean out the tubs every time i get a new shipment and I dont have a problem with crickets smelling. Ira I am like you I cant stand roaches and I wont keep them, that would be really nice to drop a few and have them all in your house.

Ira
03-04-2008, 12:40 AM
I just keep my crickets well ventilated and i clean out the tubs every time i get a new shipment and I dont have a problem with crickets smelling. Ira I am like you I cant stand roaches and I wont keep them, that would be really nice to drop a few and have them all in your house.

Hey Cliff. I do that too. I'm not sure if I've been really lucky or if my methods just seem to "work" but I don't really have any die off. I too clean out the bin at each new shipment (every 2 to 3 weeks). I don't have a substrate and I change the egg carton once a week.

I had been giving them a wide variety of foods and I think what was giving off more of a smell than usual was some lettuce that was really breaking down.

They still stink if you stick your head in there but it's not something you smell having them out. Living in an apartment, everything is out in the open, the geckos, crickets, etc. I wish I had the convenience of a reptile room right now.

I have been researching lateralis and dubia quite a bit but I am going to stick with crickets for now. I do plan on buying a few roaches at the next reptile show and see how the worl however. Try to get over my disgust of roaches:lol:

This has been an interesting thread though.

Riverside Reptiles
03-04-2008, 10:45 PM
@ Blake, dubia are a bit on the slow side to get rolling. Make sure that you keep them plenty warm and plenty humid. Make sure to keep them well fed too. Once they get going, you'll have tons of them before you know it.

@ Cliff, tropical roaches will NOT infest your house. I live in southern Va where it's hot and humid a good portion of the year and have not had any issues (and I drop them on a regular basis). On the other hand, when I used crickets, I had those little sob's running around all over the place all the time.

@ Ira, since space seems to be a concern for you, you can keep your roach tubs in a closet. They don't need any light or anything.

Animal34343
03-05-2008, 12:20 AM
What about those of us who live in Florida and can't have roaches shipped here? I hate crickets; the ones I keep, I have in a big bin and have to clean out about twice a week. The smell does get pretty bad, mainly because it is closed up. If I have it ventilated, little flys will get in them and lay eggs, but since it's closed tight, the smell builds up in there. It's pretty much lose-lose. What I try to do now is open it at least once a day to ventilate. How would I be able to get roaches? Get them from someone local?

feedersinc
05-25-2008, 03:23 AM
The only way to remove the smell is to remove the crickets. You can clean the tank out more often but you will always have a cricket smell. Dubia are a great roach, they dont climb, fly or smell! and the best part is no noise! To get roaches in FL your have to find a local person to get them from. What i do about the little flies is i keep fly paper right about the tubs and they fly into it and die. This helps alot!