PDA

View Full Version : my new friend

max power
03-22-2008, 04:08 AM
i picked up three pairs of these, the males are more blue than the females.

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/2656/dsc00123se3.jpg

jwillistylz
03-22-2008, 04:22 AM
gotta love tokays

cliff_f
03-22-2008, 02:04 PM
That one almost looks green in that picture.

max power
03-22-2008, 08:36 PM
she is green with blue spotting, anyone know the local ?

BlakeDeffenbaugh
03-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Its not really a local thing as far as anyone can tell. Some morphs seem to be more concentrated in some places though. But it also seems that morphs are more common in the wild than people think. If they were rare then they wouldnt come in in the numbers they do.

So in that aspect I dont see why people ask 1000+ for them. . they come in the country for around 250 each . . . if that. Especially when you see half dead wild caught animals that will be lucky to make it threw shipping and they still ask 1200-1500.

Riverside Reptiles
03-24-2008, 05:50 PM
she is green with blue spotting, anyone know the local ?

It's a shame that, because of their high importation numbers and low costs, more attention isn't paid to which animals are being imported from which locales. It would make for an interesting study to note the variations in colors vs. locale with these guys.

In any case, very pretty tokays. I like the green.

max power
03-24-2008, 07:23 PM
It's a shame that, because of their high importation numbers and low costs, more attention isn't paid to which animals are being imported from which locales. It would make for an interesting study to note the variations in colors vs. locale with these guys.

In any case, very pretty tokays. I like the green.

one of them is going off to a university for study to find out if its a morph or subspecies or locality

Riverside Reptiles
03-25-2008, 09:52 PM
one of them is going off to a university for study to find out if its a morph or subspecies or locality

It could be more than one (subspecies, morph and locality specific). It'll be interesting to find out. Keep us posted.

jabberwock486
04-07-2008, 11:54 PM
given the large area this species occupies i would not be surprised if some of these morphs are sub-species or even new species. it is possible to have a ring species in that region and tokays might be such a group. from what i have read not much has been done to look into these morphs.

this is due to the fact few people know exactly where these may have been collected.

i would be interested in breeding these to the "normal" stock just to see the results. looks great. tokays seem to have so many different populations. even body build. mine are very thick. while many i have seen are much thinner, even when munching down. eye color, eye pattern and even skin texture.

max power
01-06-2009, 11:20 PM
well it has been almost a yeas since i got these in and out of the 2.4 i recieved i have twohappy healthy pairs.

so much so that i have a few babies now, born a couple weeks ago, they are showing the same blue green colors ike the parents with not a spec of orange on them.

so while i dont know what local or species they are they are definately unique

pics soon to come

Riverside Reptiles
01-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Congrats on having offspring. Can't wait to see the pics.

max power
01-07-2009, 05:49 PM
by the way any one else have experiance with Gecko gocko and the family ?

i have bred thease and skunk gecko's and they are both parental (kinda abnormal fo a reptile)

the tokays are actually very good parents, when u go to close to the vivarium the babies rum for a hide or the parent that is closest.

also they dont eat their young, i good thing since their gluers.

and if u go into the viv and the babies are around the parents are bolder than a normal. immagine a more agressive tokay, the reason i call them devil lizards.

the funny thing is the babies think their as large as the adults are not afraid to lunge at you, they also bark and squak but no where near as loud.