PDA

View Full Version : nateralistic south american 10 gallon

Geckos and Goannas
03-29-2008, 12:30 AM
holds 6 lemon tetras, 4 serpe tetras, 2 clown plecos, 7 corydoras (1 leopard, 3 pandas, and 3 bronze), 1 ram cichlid, and 1 curviceps cichlid. sand for substrate. plants are 2 wonder bulbs, java moss, java fern, and hyglophilia. i know its alot for a 10 gallon but i do 50% water changes daily. the angel fish was in there only temperarly.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/blufender_5/geckos6030.jpg

M.A.L.T. Geckos
04-04-2008, 08:36 PM
very nice set up there!

MattL
04-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Now I;m no fish expert here and I'm just wondering, but wouldn't a 50% water change everyday be kind of hard on the ecosystem kind of thing?

Matt

Geckos and Goannas
04-04-2008, 10:12 PM
did i put daily? i meant weekly. my bad!

Lecko my Gecko
05-23-2008, 01:22 AM
hey red, I dont think you need to do it that often, what size tank and filters? my planted tank is over filtered and I do water changes maybe once a yr. other than refill evaporated water. planted tanks are the best because the plants and fish help each other keep the water good. the plant take the nutients from fish waste and give off oxygen for the fish but if your filter is rated for the size of your tank, you shouldnt have to do more than 25-30% once a month. I run 2 filters on my 54 corner,1 rated over the size of my tank and the other is half that filled with peat to lower the ph and soften the water for my dwarf cichlids. here are a couple of my kids. the krib is one of my babies from the fall, he s got great color already!

Geckos and Goannas
05-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Nice. Idealy for a nonnaturalistic with the proper amount of fish, (ex. 10 gal with 10 1 inch fish) tank you should do a 10-20% water change weekly on any size gallon. but for a naturalistic you should do a 10% every two weeks with the proper amount of fish. In my 10 gallon im breaking the rules by having 19 fish in it. I only do 10% about once a week now thit it is stable.

Lecko my Gecko
05-28-2008, 12:41 PM
yeah your ok with that many fish. the rule of thumb is 1 inch per gallon. 10 % a week is ok, its not a lot of water. Ive been breeding freshwater fish and running fish stores for over 25 yrs and water changes that often sometimes do more bad than good. we do weekly changes at the store only cause the amount of fish coming and going, but at home once a month is more than enough unless there s a problem. of coarse if your trying to breed discus or angels you may do it more often cause you may want to use a sponge filter wich doesnt really do a lot. the more water you change the more "good" bacteria you remove. if you have live plants they will turn waste into nutrients so to speak. well good luck

Geckos and Goannas
06-06-2008, 07:38 PM
yeah but I never have any algea problems like I did before when I would do monthy changes with the proper amount of fish in it. I dont use plecos because they are worthless.

geckoling
06-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Water changes daily are not a bad thing, and actually for this tank 2x a week might not be a bad idea.

Very nice though! I think eventually if you want to do an amazon biotope these fish should be moved to a 20 gallon long with some echinodorus, water lettuce, etc.

Geckos and Goannas
09-22-2008, 11:56 AM
thay are in a 55 now

sschind
09-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Obviously filtration, stocking levels, feeding, plants, etc have a lot to do with it. The majority of people I have to deal with have small tanks that they bought at petco or walmart with inadequate filtration, way to many fish that are way to big for the tank and they feed way to much and they don't have live plants. They need frequent water changes.

As long as the water you are putting in is pretty close to the water you are taking out daily water changes won't hurt a thing. They probably are not needed but they probably won't hurt. Personally, I recommend about 25-30% weekly. I have several grow out tanks that I do about a third to a half water change every day or at least every other day. My customers that follow a weekly schedule seem to have far fewer problems than those who go monthly or even farther in between. Still, in a properly stocked tank, with adequate filtration and a feeding schedule that is on the light side, 25-30% per month is generally sufficient. The key is to do it with regularity.

By the way, the 1 inch per gallon rule will get you into lots of trouble as soon as you start dealing with fish that are not long and skinny. 10 1" neon tetras in a 10 gallon tank will be fine but 2 5 inch oscars will give you nothing but problems. Unless of course you do the 50% daily water changes.

As far as plecos go, Get yourself some ancistrus species (commonly called bristlenose plecos) they work great and they only get about 3-4 inches long and usually not even that big in smaller tanks.

Live plants are great if you have the lighting to support them, otherwise they will just die off and pollute your water more. Luckily there are some low light species that should do OK in most tanks.

Geckos and Goannas
11-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Yeah the 1 inch is comunity terms.