PDA

View Full Version : Exo Terra

Bindy
04-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Hey all,
Just wanted to know if the Exo Terra Medium Desert Habitat Kit was a good starter for leo's or should i go with a 10 gallon?

thanks

zBrinks
04-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Go with the tank that provides the most floor space. If its an 18x18 exo, go with that. If its a 12x12, go with a ten gallon.

Scott F
04-16-2008, 07:50 AM
A 15 or 20 gallon LONG would be perfect for a nice leopard gecko display. There will be no need to upgrade in the future if you go with this size. Perfecto aquarium company makes nice ones with a sliding screen top built into the unit, and can be purchased at any pet shop large or small. I think about $40.00 max. I have had leopard geckos in the past and started out with a ten gallon. I upgraded eventually because it did not offer them appropriate room to explore, and provided me with not much space to make a cool set up. If you just want one or two for a pet, I would go with the little bit bigger floor dimensions I suggested. The 12 x 12 x12 Exo is to small, and the 18 x 18 x18 is designed for a semi arboreal reptile (not leopard geckos).........the whole mid to top of the cage is wasted space.

Bindy
04-16-2008, 11:12 PM
So i decided to go with the 10 gallon and have it all set up but my temp isnt getting over 70 on the warm side and 60 on the cool side. my substrate right now is the repti carpet (i plan on getting a juvenile) is there something i can do to get the temp up or should i get a heat lamp? not just the UTH?

acpart
04-17-2008, 12:17 AM
If you're using a UTH and repti carpet and the temp isn't getting above 70, one of the following problems may be happening:

--you're measuring your heat in the air rather than on the floor of the tank
--you haven't given the UTH at least 6 hours to warm up
--your UTH doesn't work

See if it's one of those problems.

Aliza

Bindy
04-17-2008, 04:49 PM
so i left the heater on all night and no increase in temp so i returned it and got a new on this one is heating up nice. thanks for the info :biggrin: