PDA

View Full Version : I found this little cactus

lemonjello
05-15-2008, 05:46 PM
While I was at lowes, I stopped to look at the cacti. Something bright on the floor caught my eye. Well, it turns out to be a tine pink cactus. I saw more of them on the sides of a larger cactus, so I think it is a "Baby". I took him home, and I don't know the scientific name of it or anything. It is a bright pink sphere that has little balls of spikes on it, and it is the kind of cactus that is usually grafted to the stalk of a different cactus. We asked a nursery, and they said "Put in in dirt and it might root". Not very helpful. Does anybody know what this is/how to care for it? it is just sitting out in the open and I would like to save it.

We named it "Lil' Cacti".

lemonjello
05-15-2008, 06:49 PM
OK, so now I have put it in a plastic container with about 3 cubic centimeters of dirt, coir, and sand. Does it need UVB lights?

Kevin McRae
05-15-2008, 09:15 PM
This it?

Gymnocalycium mihanovichii - Google Image Search (http://images.google.ca/images?um=1&hl=en&q=Gymnocalycium+mihanovichii+&btnG=Search+Images)

lemonjello
05-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Yes.

Kevin McRae
05-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Google should be able to help you out with info.

You can go to Rona/Home Depot/Wal mart and get a plant grow light bulb.

phearamedusa
05-22-2008, 11:41 PM
the end that fell off the mother cactus needs to have scabbed over, once this has happened you can put it into cactus potting soil that's moist should root eventually.

Hilde
05-23-2008, 08:59 AM
If it's one of the pink 'balls' that are grafted onto green cactus, then you can't just plant it and hope it grows. They're pink, because they don't have chlorophyll, so they can't make their own food. It's got to be grafted onto a green base, which will make the food for both of them. Read up on grafting cactus via info in some of the pages from the link Kevin posted. It's not hard to graft cacti, and it's the only way your "Lil' Cacti" will survive.