PDA

View Full Version : classification

toma03
05-25-2008, 08:52 AM
hi,

a little question concerning de classification of A.felinus

this genus/species are classified in sub familly "aeluroscalabotinae" but this geckos has eyelids was deprived of satae and by definition an eublepharinae

Why to have one under monotypical family while felinus has characteristic of eublepharinae?

GypsyKundie
05-25-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm a newbie but I'm gunna make a guess and then the experts can tell me if I'm right or not :)

Ok, a lot of sites do say that they are Eublepharinae, but most don't This one implies it. I can't find the source right now - I'm doing research all over the place - but the quote below suggests the idea that because they diverged before eublepharinae broke off, they acctually existed before eublepharinae existed, and so cannot be included in eublepharinae? maybe?
Also, like this says, they are arboreal and have a prehensile tail which separates them from the rest of the sub-family?

"The genus Aeluroscalabotus was the first to diverge phylogenetically from the rest, and with that knowledge, one of the most prehistoric geckos in the world. Aeluroscalabotus is a very ancient, and specialized genus, that exists in South-East Asia. In contrast to the other eyelid geckos (Eublepharinae) Aeluroscalabotus is aboreal, and has a prehensile tail, witch functions as a “fifth leg”"

Ok, now somebody correct me.:lol:

GypsyKundie
05-25-2008, 02:58 PM
your post got me lookin for a full gecko taxonomy, and though I have yet to find it, I did find this...

"Eublepharinae is usually recognized as a valid family (Eublepharidae)

A simplified version of the phylogenetic dendrogram looks like this;

Squamata
-Iguania
-Gekkota
--Eublepharidae
---Aeluroscalabotes
---Eubelpharis
---Goniurosaurus
---Coleonyx
---Holodactylus
---Hemitheconyx
--Pygopodidae