PDA

View Full Version : My D.galeatus is losing weight

Xanadu1
05-29-2008, 10:02 PM
I noticed tonight that my D.galeatus has lost some weight...his tail is visably thinner. I've been feeding him every other night and he "cleans his plate"...I feed him Phoenix Worms and Mealworms. If I started feeding him every night, would or could he over eat and hurt himself? I only feed him every other night because that's what I was told to do. Also, I have him on sand...I'm a little worried about impaction but not too bad because he poops A LOT...should I switch to paper towel?

Thanks,
Heather

DDReptiles
05-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Is all you feed him mealworms and Phoenix worms??

I would say get a fecal done if you are worried, but it sounds like he is eating.

G's Geckos
05-29-2008, 10:43 PM
hey, in your album of your galeatus is the most recent picture of him pic #15? cause if it is, i agree he deff looks alot thinner and worse looking...I dont think it would be compaction because in compacted animals they normally do not crap like yours does which you say is 'alot.' Is he in with a female? try crickets because i believe their higher in fat (i think so) and it takes quicker to digest them...try feeding every night, it wont hurt until you see him significantly gaining too much weight to the point he has bags of fat behind his front legs...

clarksgeckos
05-29-2008, 11:05 PM
I would imagine that he has become very nutrient deficient from eating the mealworms. They are very deficient insects for a staple diet and they are extremely hard to digest like us eating a head of lettuce and trying to get anything out of it. The Pheonix worms (in my opinion) are the larvae of a filthy fly and would never feed them to any of my animals. I think there is a lot of hype about them ad that is about all. They seem like they would be very hard to digest (lots of chitin). I would also say that he is probably infested with nematodes if he eats every other night and is eating voracoiusly and still loosing weight. Are you changing the sand in his enclosure every few months and sanitizing with virosan or some other reptile safe disinfectant?? If not, I would strongly suggest to change the sand out immediately and clean his enclosure. Keep the cage very very clean and keep up the sand changes.
I would strongly suggest to throw the mealworms away and start feeding 3 to 4 1/4 inch crickets every other day dusted with Miner-All I at every feeding and then dusted with Herptivite once a week.
I also dont know if your setup is appropriate for a galeatus to thrive in so, please explain the setup including the temperature gradients.
Hope that we can help.
Best Regards,

Riverside Reptiles
05-30-2008, 09:31 AM
I purchased 1,000 phoenix worms when they came out and NONE of my animals would even touch them. I ended up throwing out most of them. I agree and would switch to roaches and/or crickets.
BTW thread moved to proper forum

Xanadu1
05-30-2008, 09:44 AM
I see this says "moved"... did I stick this some where else? I meant to put it in the Aussie forum...if I didn't, I apologize. Thank you all for your replies. This little guy goes nuts for the phoenix worms. He gobbles them up. From what I understand, they're very nutritious...someone here said something about chitin and phoenix worms...but, they're very soft...not like mealworms at all. I don't think they have chitin unless I just don't know what chitin is. He eats very few mealworms. They're usually left in the dish. I have him in a 10 gallon tank (I can move him to a 5 gallon if that's better) with sand. He has 5-6 low hides made from bark...one moist hide on the warm side...and then another regular hide...he's usually hanging in the regular hide. I keep the warm side in the high 80s to low 90s...the cool side is room temp. I mist him every other day. I don't keep water in the tank with him. I read somewhere that they usually don't drink out of standing water and it's best to mist them. When he poops, he also has white urates. He poops a lot. I place the worms in a petry dish so that he can get in the dish and eat...he's so tiny, I didn't think he could reach something very high. Also, I've noticed he doesn't eat his shed. Is that normal?

G's Geckos,
Yes, #15 is the most recent. The coloring isn't true though. I didn't use a good flash and I was in a hurry so it's not a very good photo. But the size of his tail is true.

I'm going to start feeding him everyday to see if that helps.

DDReptiles
05-30-2008, 10:52 AM
I would start feeding him crickets, like Clark said about 3-4 1/4 inch ones every other day.

Also I would get a fecal done, just to see if there is something in him taking a share of the food.

Thanks Derek

sune jensen
05-30-2008, 01:24 PM
I would say that using sand for substrate is almost surely not the explanation. To make a long story short my advice is to give crickets, small, sizes, in approrpiate amounts (=many), AND you can also try wax moth larvae. I simply do not consider meal worms any good for this type of geckos (unless you breed them yourself and use only small ones, and pick the ones that are white because the just molted)

Riverside Reptiles
06-01-2008, 10:09 AM
I see this says "moved"... did I stick this some where else? I meant to put it in the Aussie forum...if I didn't, I apologize.

We have 2 Aussie forums. One for "knobtails" and one for "others". You had placed this in the knobtailed forum. No big deal though.