08-03-2008, 06:46 AM
A new care_sheet entry has been added:

pete arrows
08-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Even though Lygodactylus mombasicus and Lygodactylus picturatus live
side by side in the wild they tend to avoid each other. L. mombasicus
frequents house walls, L. picturatus frequents tree trunks. Juveniles of
both species tend to occupy bushes or small trees. Never saw either
adult male species with more than one female, always just a pair.
Watching their eating behavior it seemed that L. mombasicus had a
preference for ants as they would position themselves by an ant trail
and pick them off as the ants went past.
Wonder if they also need a wet/dry period as in the wild. Long rains
in May/June and short rains in Dec.
These are my personal observations in Diani Beach, south Kenyian
coast, south of Mombasa.

SarkkaS
08-29-2008, 03:11 AM
Good to know that about the L. mombasicus and L. picturatus of that locality. The wet and dry periods is something that I try to mimic to the extent that is possible in the vivarium and so far all seems to go well.

That site you were at is also a site B. Röll has observed, if I recall correctly. It is from those and other observations she wrote her book, Lygodactylus.

-Sale

reptilegirl64
02-16-2009, 08:06 PM
wow! what else do you know about these lizards? they sound interesting!!!!!!

-reptilegirl64

joepting
09-15-2009, 07:12 PM
:banana::banana::)[/SIZE]

geckoraptor
11-05-2009, 07:27 PM
:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes: cccccccooooooooolllllllll

mttycaz85
11-09-2009, 08:36 PM
would a 12x12x12 exo terra cage be ok to house one of these?

jolthoff
09-13-2010, 04:28 PM
I would love to get my hands on some of these dwarves. Does anyone know of a breeder?

Cape Yellow Head
08-10-2011, 12:13 PM
@jolthoff - kingsnake.com Classifieds: Lygodactylus williamsi - Bonus Offer (http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=31&de=854911)

scroll down the page and read the bonus offer description.

Cape Yellow Head

hexentanz
08-10-2011, 02:23 PM
@jolthoff - kingsnake.com Classifieds: Lygodactylus williamsi - Bonus Offer (http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=31&de=854911)

scroll down the page and read the bonus offer description.

Cape Yellow Head

Unless there is a picture supplied with that ad (and is 100% accurate) I am willing to bet it is not a L. mombasicus being offered with the williamsi. Quite a few people have tagged this supposed 'cape yellow head' as a Lygodactylus capensis, while the pictures show Lygodactylus kimhowelli, Lygodactylus picturatus, Lygodactylus grotei.. etc...... So you really have no clue what you will get. Lygodactylus capensis is commonly called the 'cape gecko' and not a yellow head cape gecko.

It has been a long time since L. mombasicus was imported and very few people have them remaining in their collections sadly.

Cape Yellow Head
08-11-2011, 05:08 PM
I understand. Although, I did call Switzer and ask about the bonus species and they said they also have L. Kimhowelli. This offer may not still be there as it was some time ago but you could call and ask or email. Both I have had luck with.;)

hexentanz
08-13-2011, 03:13 AM
I understand. Although, I did call Switzer and ask about the bonus species and they said they also have L. Kimhowelli. This offer may not still be there as it was some time ago but you could call and ask or email. Both I have had luck with.;)

Right, but the person asking is specifically looking for L. mombasicus, not some wild card animal. ;) I am telling you L. mombasicus has not been imported for a long time. So I highly doubt it is this animal offered all over the USA at the moment without 100% accurate photographic proof.

Cape Yellow Head
08-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Ok cool. Do you mind telling me the difference between L. Mombasicus and L. Kimhowelli.

Thank you for the info

cape yellow head

hexentanz
08-14-2011, 04:49 AM
Ok cool. Do you mind telling me the difference between L. Mombasicus and L. Kimhowelli.

Thank you for the info

cape yellow head

Patterns for one.. :)

Lygodactylus mombasicus - REPTILES UNIVERSE (http://www.reptiles-universe.com/lygodactylus-mombasicus.html)
Lygodactylus kimhowelli - REPTILES UNIVERSE (http://www.reptiles-universe.com/lygodactylus-kimhowelli.html)

Cape Yellow Head
08-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Thank you for all the help hexentanz! I really like L. mombasicus brown stripes:)

hexentanz
08-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Thank you for all the help hexentanz! I really like L. mombasicus brown stripes:)

No problem and yes it is really a beautiful gecko. :biggrin: