PDA

View Full Version : tank size

Robbe
08-06-2008, 01:39 PM
hey

Well lets get to the point, Im new on this site, and i love that every specious got its "own" forum.

oki, i got a 250L terrarium, 50*50*100cm, its 100 high.
and i would love having a pair of Tokay, but i have been surfing around on this site and Im not to familiar whit gallons but think this size of tank would be about 65 Gallons. now would it be sufficient enough for a pair of Tokay, or would you prefer just keeping them in that size to they are semi adults, or can i keep them in there for they hole life?.

one more question, do any of you notes if they prefere any kind of branches like bambo or lian?.

Regards Robin

cliff_f
08-06-2008, 07:44 PM
A 65 gallon tank would be plenty big enough for a adult pair to live in. Some people will agree and some wont but I have been breeding them in tanks aprox 29 gall in size and have had them in there for years and they do just fine. But bigger is better.

Any good size branches or logs would be great for them. I like to get hallow logs and put them on end so they can climb in the and lay eggs in there and hide.

Robbe
08-07-2008, 06:21 AM
thanks Cliff

bye the way would it better to buy the 2 geckos and keep them separated till they are big so the male wouldn´t try to mate whit here before she is ready, or is it not a problem.
or can i just put them in the tank together.
because i would like to buy from two different breeders just so that the geckos not are family related to each other.

Regards Robin

cliff_f
08-07-2008, 08:50 AM
It is usually better to keep them seperated untill they are old enough to breed. I have kept to Juvies together and they didnt breed untill they were adults but really you would be better off keep them seperated untill they are ready to breed.

'stoph
08-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Sounds great.
Can we have pics of the enclosure?

Robbe
08-07-2008, 04:31 PM
its not setup yet, and I am a full time studente, så its not gonna be the most beautiful tank, but hey its the geckos who is the eye candy right;) hehe but year i can post a picture when i get items for the terrarium.

Robin

cliff_f
08-07-2008, 09:07 PM
its not setup yet, and I am a full time studente, så its not gonna be the most beautiful tank, but hey its the geckos who is the eye candy right;) hehe but year i can post a picture when i get items for the terrarium.

Robin
I dont think the tokays much care on what the tank looks like as long as it meets its needs.As long as the cage is setup for the geckos needs first off then you can always add stuff to make it apealing for you later on.

Robbe
08-08-2008, 02:38 AM
my point, just got a quastion about the heatlamp. do you use them that makes light and keep them on fore the 12-14hours a day or du you got one of those hwo dosent make any visual ligth and keep them going all day and night so that the geckos my have a basking spot when they are active?.

Robin

cliff_f
08-08-2008, 08:33 AM
I only keep my heat lamps on during the day. You will drive a tokay crazy if you keep the lights on 24 hours. They are nocturnal and come out in the cover of darkness to hunt and move around. They do move around alot during the day but night is when they really get active.

Robbe
08-08-2008, 11:53 AM
I dont think i express my selvf. very good before, I wouldn´t keep the ligt going 24-7. only 12-14 hours a day.

its this item i was talking about.
link: Exo Terra - Products: Heat Wave Lamp (http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/heat_wave_lamp.php)

no light only heat.

bye the way i have just bought some cork to the side of the terrarium.

cliff_f
08-08-2008, 07:31 PM
I wouldnt worry about night heat unless them temps are getting in the uper 60'sF. I let mine get down in the lower mid 70's at night (around room temp).

Robbe
08-09-2008, 05:00 AM
Okay then i´ll do that, thanks cliff.

im beginning on the tank today