PDA

View Full Version : Help me with wheeleri.

smallpaul
08-28-2008, 06:00 AM
Hello friends,

I have decided I am going to get a pair of N. Wheeleri from Hamm.
I think my pair will be from Derek Wong as I have heard many great things about him.
I would like some information on these geckos.
I have read they require a dry habitat unlike my Levis.
Do they have both sides dry sand and no need for digging area ?
Do they need a moist hide box ?
The pair are 2008 so still only small.

Regards
Paul

Pitbullgeckos
08-28-2008, 07:01 AM
YO
Dry sand and no humid area, no humid digingbox exept for pregnant females. Keep them apart and just put them together for breeding.
....and if Derek Wong is out of wheeleris leave me a mess and you can have som of my -08 ;-)

smallpaul
08-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks PitBull,
I thought it was like that, How old/weight do they need to breed ?
Are they an easy geckos to keep, I currently only have Levis, but im looking for these and some milii !!
They sound even easier to keep than Levis as they dont need the humid area.
Do they need the same temps as Levis?

Pitbullgeckos
08-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Yes, they are very hardy geckos, easy to keep. I keep mine a little warmer than my softskinns and and for breeding and good egglaying I have found that the night temp should be high, about 26-27 C.
I Spray a little bit on teh tub walls every other day for drinking during the summer. During Hibernation I keep them totaly dry and just a little waterbowl for drinking.
I do not knowe the wight of breedeble wheeleris but mine started to breed at about 2 years old and after a 3 month cooling period.

M.A.L.T. Geckos
08-30-2008, 03:07 PM
I have my wheeleri in 1.5 inches of Repti-Sand. They get misted on the cool side of the enclosure once every two days. The warm side is between 87-89 degrees. I feed crickets dusted in multi-vit, calc, and calc with D3 (I rotate these). Also, I keep one wheeleri per 15 quart tub in a rack. A 10 gallon long or 20 gallon long will be great for one or in the future a pair (in the 20 long).

smallpaul
08-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Sorry just saw this after I sent another PM !! :)
Thanks very much, Do you have a water bowl with them?

Can you tell me the measurments of a 15 quarts as they dont do that in Europe !! Sorry.

smallpaul
08-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Is 40 x 30 cm floor space enough for a single adult wheeleri ?
I house my levis in that size.

Pitbullgeckos
09-01-2008, 02:56 AM
No, I do not keep waterbowls for my nephr, non of the spices, I just spray the the walls of the tub every two-three days. During hibernation I do not spray so then I keep a litlle waterbowl but I have never seen them drinking so far, just to be on the safe side.

30-40 cm is a little bit to small I think, for bouth wheeleris and softskins, Its hard to get diffrent temp zones and that what is all about, to leave them with a choise what temp the prefer in just that moment, so they can preform what ever a neph needs to do.
But this is just a oppinion and Im sure that if you ask other more expirienced keepers they come up with another way.40-50cm is what I use to get the tempzones working.

smallpaul
09-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Ok Thanks Pitbull, You have been a great help :)